Vegan Minestrone Soup
A quick and easy, delicious, kid-friendly, veggie loaded soup using pantry and freezer staples! On your table in just about 30 minutes!
- ½ yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 package (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables or 3 cups mixed vegetables like diced carrots, green beans, peas and corn.
- 1 can (28 oz) canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 carton (32 oz) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 can (15 oz) canned red kidney beans rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups of home cooked beans)
- 1 cup chopped kale optional
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- 2 cups cooked noodles We like macaroni noodles. Ditalini is also a good choice. (Use gluten free noodles, if desired)
- fresh chopped parsley to garnish
In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté the onion in ¼ cup of the veggie broth until soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes
Add the garlic, parsley, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir well and sauté 1 minute until fragrant.
Add the frozen vegetables, crushed tomatoes, the rest of the carton of veggie broth. Stir well to combine.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes to allow the veggies to become tender and the flavors to mingle.
Add kidney beans, nutritional yeast, and kale, if using. Simmer another 2 to 3 minutes to warm through.
Serve over cooked noodles with fresh chopped parsley to garnish.
~ Be sure to drain and rinse the canned beans before adding them to the soup.
~ Cook the noodles separately and add them to individual bowls before serving. Or use leftover noodles that you have hanging out in the fridge.
~ Store the noodles and soup separately otherwise the noodles will continue to soak up the liquid, get mushy and create a very thick soup.
~ Serve with crusty bread, salad, or both for an even more substantial meal.
Calories: 354kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 945mg | Potassium: 487mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 4700IU | Vitamin C: 44.6mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 4.1mg