Garden Veggie Pasta
An easy marinara sauce loaded up with chunky summer veggies and served over pasta. This Garden Veggie Pasta is a delicious, healthy meal the whole family will love!
- 12 ounces penne or pasta noodle of choice (gluten free, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 ½ cups diced eggplant about ½ of an average sized eggplant
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced (or color of choice)
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons [dried basil]
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- torn fresh basil
- sprinkle of nutritional yeast
Cook the pasta according to package directions in well-salted water.
Meanwhile, sauté the onion, carrot and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes until starting to soften.
Add the bell pepper, zucchini, and eggplant and sauté another 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, dried basil, balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
Simmer the sauce on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve the sauce over cooked noodles.
*Fresh tomatoes can be cooked down instead of using canned.
*Feel free to use your favorite vegetables. Other summer veggies that would work great in this recipe: sweet corn, green beans, yellow summer squash, or green peas.
*Pasta not your thing? Serve the sauce over rice, baked potatoes, zoodles, or polenta instead.
*Feel free to add in some white beans, chickpeas, or pan-fried tofu for an extra protein boost.
*If you're following an oil-free diet, feel free to use ¼ cup vegetable broth or water to sauté instead of olive oil.
*If you're following a gluten free diet, use gluten free noodles.
*Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 668mg | Potassium: 693mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 159IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 11mg