Slow Cooker Red Lentil Stew with Chickpeas and Orzo
Cozy and comforting Red Lentil and Chickpea Stew with Orzo is an easy meal for any night of the week. Made in the slow cooker, you can prep dinner ahead of time and enjoy it whenever you are ready.
Servings: 6 servings
- ½ large sweet onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup dried red lentils picked over and rinsed well
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup dry orzo pasta or any small shape pasta, like ditalini or macaroni
- handful of fresh parsley chopped
Sauté the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons veggie broth in a small pan over medium heat for about 5 to 6 minutes, until soft and translucent.
Add the onions/garlic along with everything else, except the orzo and parsley, into the bowl of your slow cooker.
Cook on high 2 to 3 hours until the lentils are soft.
Add the orzo and cook on low another 30 minutes until the orzo is tender.
Taste and add additional seasoning (salt, pepper, etc.) as needed.
Stir in the fresh parsley and serve.
~ If you have an Instant Pot, you can sauté right in that with the sauté function. Just make sure to change it to the slow cooker function when you're done with this step.
~Leftovers will thicken up considerably. To reheat - you may want to add additional vegetable broth to thin it out.
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1092mg | Potassium: 383mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 27.2mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 0.7mg