Vegan Mushroom Pepper Steak
This one pot "meaty" vegetarian dish is loaded with mushroom and peppers and has great depth of flavor. Served over rice, it's comfort food at it's best.
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 onion (halved and cut into slices) (I used a sweet onion)
- 2 large green peppers (seeded and cut into strips)
- 1 ½ cups tomato puree
- 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1-2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce (Annie's brand is vegan)
- 2 dashes liquid smoke
- 1 package sliced mushrooms (about 12-15 oz)
- salt/pepper to taste
Heat a large pan over medium heat on the stove. Add the vegetable broth or water and the sliced onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the mushrooms. Cover, turn down heat to med-low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Add the mushrooms and simmer another 5 minutes.
Serve hot over rice.
Nutrition facts calculated for Mushroom Pepper Steak only, not including any rice for serving.
Calories: 122kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 425mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 750IU | Vitamin C: 66.8mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 1.8mg