Cajun Black Eyed Peas Pasta is sure to bring you health and wealth in the coming year.
Need some good fortune for the coming year?
Traditions say eating certain foods on New Year’s Day will bring you health and wealth. We could all use a little more of that, right?
Black eyed peas and long noodles are two of those lucky foods.
Fill up a bowl with this smoky Cajun Black Eyed Peas Pasta and enjoy a fabulous year!
Black eyed peas are said to resemble coins and, therefore, represent wealth.
These cream colored legumes with black spots are full of protein, fiber, iron and potassium, making them a good choice regardless.
When I first made this dish, I made a huge batch of black eyed peas in my instant pot and I could’t stop popping them into my mouth as I finished the rest of the dish. They were plain, just cooked in water, and so delicious! Just don’t over cook them – I think they are best with a little bite left.
Long noodles represent longevity.
The trick is to slurp the entire noodle into your mouth without chewing or breaking it though.
So, in this instance, it’s ok to slurp your food! Kids especially think this is super fun. 🙂
Cajun black eyed peas are traditionally served over rice, which is also delicious and would work just fine in this recipe if you prefer.
We definitely enjoyed it served over pasta and the kids happily ate leftovers too.
To really up the ante on your chances of wealth, you could also add a cup of chopped greens towards the end of the cooking process. Collard greens or kale would work best, but spinach would be a good choice too.
More vegan black eyed peas recipes
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Cajun Black Eyed Peas Pasta
- ½ white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 2 ½ cups cooked black eyed peas
- 1 cup leafy greens chopped (collard greens, kale, spinach, etc), optional
- 16 ounces long noodles cooked according to package directions (or pasta of choice…or rice) (gluten free noodles if desired)
- In a large deep skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic, peppers and celery until softened, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and spices, turn down heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked black eyed peas and greens, if using, and simmer another 5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve over pasta (or rice).