Chunky Veggie Marinara Sauce – An easy marinara sauce loaded up with chunky summer veggies. Perfect over pasta, zoodles, rice, baked potatoes, or polenta.
If it seems like I’m posting recipes incorporating a lot of the same vegetables, it’s because I am. Our summer garden is thriving and I love that there are so many different ways to use them. If you think you don’t like a certain vegetable (or have a family member that doesn’t), try serving it up a different way. My son doesn’t much care for zucchini and, more often than not, he picks it out of whatever I’m serving. However, when I dish up this Chunky Veggie Marinara Sauce over noodles, he gobbles it down! Kids tend to think anything is good with noodles (and I don’t disagree!).
This is simply a basic marinara recipe combined with sautéed chopped summer vegetables. If you’ve never attempted to make your own marinara sauce, you must try it – it’s so easy! I use canned crushed tomatoes as a cheat, and they are great year round, but you could certainly use fresh.
You could also serve this tasty sauce over baked potatoes, zucchini “noodles”, polenta, rice, etc. It’s so delicious, you can’t go wrong! I mean, who doesn’t love red sauce?
Chunky Veggie Marinara Sauce
Don’t get tired of looking at those garden vegetables just yet, give this marinara sauce a try and let me know how much you love it! If you try it, please leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
Chunky Veggie Marinara Sauce - An easy marinara sauce loaded up with chunky summer veggies. Perfect over pasta, zoodles, rice, baked potatoes, or polenta.
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small zucchini (or 1/2 large) (diced)
- 3/4 cup diced eggplant (I used 3 mini eggplants which is probably about 1/2 of a large one)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and diced)
- 1 red sweet bell pepper (seeded and diced) (or color of choice)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (divided)
- Optional garnishes: fresh basil (vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast)
Sauté the onion, carrot and garlic in 1/4 cup vegetable broth for 5-7 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant and additional 2 tbsp vegetable broth ad sauté another 5-7 minutes. (If the mixtures starts to dry out, add 1tbsp of veggie broth at a time).
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, dried basil, balsamic vinegar and the remainder of the veggie broth and stir to combine.
- Simmer the sauce on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over your favorite cooked noodles.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes to Love:
This post has been submitted to Tinned Tomatoes: Meat Free Mondays.