Smoky Cajun Black Eyed Peas Pasta is sure to bring you health and wealth in the coming year.
Need some good fortune for the coming year? Traditions say eating certain foods on New Year’s Day will bring you health and wealth. We could all use a little more of that, right? Black eyed peas and long noodles are two of those lucky foods. Fill up a bowl with this Smoky Cajun Black Eyed Peas Pasta and enjoy a fabulous 2016!
Black Eyed Peas
Black eyed peas are said to resemble coins and, therefore, represent wealth. These cream colored legumes with black spots are full of protein, fiber, iron and potassium, making them a good choice regardless. I happen to LOVE them. When I first made this dish, I made a huge batch of black eyed peas in my instant pot and I could’t stop popping them into my mouth as I finished the rest of the dish. They were plain, just cooked in water, and so delicious! Just don’t over cook them – I think they are best with a little bite left.
Long noodles represent longevity. The trick is to slurp the entire noodle into your mouth without chewing or breaking it though. So, in this instance, it’s ok to slurp your food! Kids especially think this is super fun. 🙂
Cajun Black Eyed Peas Pasta
Cajun black eyed peas are traditionally served over rice, which is also delicious and would work just fine in this recipe if you prefer. We definitely enjoyed it served over pasta and the kids happily ate leftovers too.
To really up the ante on your chances of wealth, you could also add a cup of chopped greens towards the end of the cooking process. Collard greens or kale would work best, but spinach would be a good choice too.
Here’s to an amazing 2016! I wish health, wealth and happiness to all of you!
Do you enjoy any New Year’s traditions in your family?
Smoky Cajun Black Eyed Peas Pasta
- ½ white onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or water
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 ½ cups cooked black eyed peas
- 1 cup leafy greens (chopped) (collard greens, kale, spinach, etc), optional
- 1 lb long noodles (cooked according to package directions) (or pasta of choice...or rice) (gluten free noodles if desired)
- In a large deep skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic, peppers and celery until softened - about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and spices, turn down heat to med-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked black eyed peas and greens, if using, and simmer another 5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve over pasta (or rice).