Chickpea White Chili – a quick and easy vegan white bean chili perfect for any day of the week!
We are having an exceptionally mild winter so far here in the midwest, but that doesn’t stop me from making all the cozy soups and stews. I really love hearty chills in the cooler months and I decided to do things a little differently this time by making a white bean version. This Chickpea White Chili has all the spice and depth of flavor of regular chili, but no tomatoes anywhere in site. If you like thick and hearty one pot meals, this comforting dish is for you!
White Beans for the Win
I used two kinds of white beans in this chili: cannelini beans and garbanzo beans (chickpeas). The cannelini beans provide a nice creaminess while the chickpeas hold up really well and still have a little bite. I really like the contrast in texture in this recipe.
I added canned diced green chiles and also a fresh jalapeño for heat. You can leave out the fresh one if you don’t want it spicy at all.
This white chili only needs 20-30 minutes of simmering to bring all the flavors together, making it perfect for any day of the week. It would make a great addition to any football watching party as well…make a double batch and keep it warm in the crockpot.
Feel free to top this white bean chili with the toppings of your choice. I especially loved the tanginess of a little dollop of dairy-free sour cream stirred in right before eating. Fresh cilantro, avocado, or sliced jalapeño are great choices as well. And I have never eaten a chili without tortilla chips for scooping – at least not in my adult life where I get to make my own food choices. 🙂 Tortilla chips and chili just go hand in hand if you ask me!
Chickpea White Chili
My kids happily ate bowlfuls of this too. They are such bean lovers…makes me so happy! I hope you love this White Chili just as much as we do! If you try this recipe, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it! Enjoy!
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 jalapeño (diced)
- 2 cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained) (or 3 cups cooked
- 1 can cannellini beans or creamy white bean of choice (rinsed and drained) (or 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp pepper (I used white pepper)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock (depending on thick/thin you like your chili)
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, canned, frozen - doesn't matter)
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapeño
- dollop of dairy-free sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Saute the onion, garlic and jalapeño over medium heat in soup pot on the stove for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the beans, diced green chiles and all the spices and mix well.
- Add the broth, stir, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the corn and simmer another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition facts calculated without toppings.
More Hearty Dairy Free Soup and Stews to Love: