American Apple Pie – this classic dessert gets a vegan makeover, but tastes just as delicious as the original.
*Update 9/20/15: Congratulations to Arlene L. She is the winner of the Nom Yourself Cookbook Giveaway. Thanks to all who entered. You can still get your hands on a copy of the book HERE.*
Apple picking season is upon us. In fact, it starts here in the midwest where I’m from TODAY! How’s that for timing?! So, head on out to the apple orchard (or grocery store) and pick up some delicious, juicy, tart apples and hurry home to make this homestyle American Apple Pie!! The recipe can be found in the brand new cookbook, Nom Yourself: Simple Vegan Cooking by Mary Mattern. Don’t worry though, you can also find the recipe below right on this very post! But before we get to the recipe and the details on how you can WIN your very own copy of the cookbook, let me tell you why you will WANT this book in your life.
Who is Mary Mattern
First and foremost, Mary is just like you and me. She did not come into this world knowing how to cook and her first trials at it didn’t go well. She was inspired by a family she was nannying for and their weekly trips to the farmers market. Slowly, but surely, she ventured out to try new ingredients and recipes. Even still she found herself sometimes saying, “What the hell is kale and why did I decide to buy five pounds of the stuff?” We’ve all been there, right? Good intentions without a clue how to follow through. Luckily for Mary, and for us, she kept at it and finally succeeded.
She also didn’t come into this world a vegan. By creating recipes based on her bounty from the farmers market, she realized she had unintentionally cut out meat and dairy from her diet and was feeling energized. This realization was it for Mary, no looking back! And she decided to share her culinary journey with the world. Drawing inspiration from a bib the little boy she nannied for wore (Nom Nom Nom), Nom Yourself was born.
Inside Nom Yourself
I have been following Mary and her Nom Yourself Instagram account for awhile now. The photos of her vibrant vegan food always leave me drooling. Her new cookbook is no different. There are so many scrumptious recipes in there that I had a hard time choosing what to share with you. But, like I said, it’s apple season, so I went for the amazing apple pie. But rest assured, that is only the beginning of deliciousness found in this book.
Nom Yourself: Simple Vegan Cooking is broken down into 10 recipe chapters.
- Homemade Staples (Cashew Cream Cheese; Coconut Sour Cream)
- Sauces, Dips, & Dressings (Buttermilk Ranch Dip; Sea-Salted Caramel Sauce)
- Breakfast (Gingerbread French Toast; Snickerdoodle Banana Bites, California Tofu Benedict)
- Appetizers (Garlic Potato Kale Cakes; Fried Eggplant Sticks)
- Soups & Salads (Chipotle BBQ Quinoa Chili; Buffalo Cauliflower Kale Salad)
- Sandwiches (Deviled Eggless Salad Sandwich; Shitake Mushroom Po’Boy with Remoulade)
- Pasta (Creamy Basil Tomato Spaghetti with Kale; Cauliflower Ricotta Stuffed Shells)
- Entrees (Stuffed Artichoke; Crispy Orange Sesame Cauliflower; Deep Fried Guacamole)
- Sides (Buttermilk Biscuits; Drunken Potatoes)
- Desserts (Double Trouble Brownies; Coconut-Battered Strawberry Zeppole)
Are you drooling yet?? Every one of the recipes in the book is dairy free, vegan, and incredibly flavorful. If you aren’t already convinced that plant based food can be exciting and indulgent, you will be after chowing down on Mary’s recipes.
She also includes a chapter titled The Essentials. This chapter will teach you how to stock your pantry, fridge and cabinets – with food and equipment – to make vegan cooking a breeze! Need recommendations for dairy alternatives, protein alternatives, sweeteners? Mary’s got you covered.
Keep reading to find out how to WIN A COPY of Nom Yourself – it’s super easy to enter. But first, the recipe for American Apple Pie!
American Apple Pie
I hope you love this American Apple Pie as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour (plus more to dust the pie tin)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 5 apples of your choice (cored, peeled, and thinly sliced)
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 medium lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (packed) organic light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour and sea salt together.
- Add the vegan margarine and mix by hand until the mixture forms into big crumbles.
- Add the water one tablespoon at a time until the pie dough is firm.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
In a large bowl, mix the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Dust an 9-inch pie tin with flour. This will keep the bottom and sides of the crust from sticking. Do not use margarine to grease the tin (it will give you a soft bottom crust).
- Place the pie crust in the center of the pie tin and push to form the shape of the pie tin. Press the dough evenly so the pie crust is a uniform thickness. You can roll it out as well, but I find shaping it less time-consuming. Cut away any excess dough.
- Place the apple mixture in the piecrust and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Keep an eye on it after 40 minutes to make sure the crust isn't burning.
~When you are cutting the apples, squeeze the lemon juice over them in a bowl to keep them from browning.
~Serve with vanilla coconut ice cream and garnish with fresh mint.
*Recipe credit: Mary Mattern. Reprinted with permission from Mary and Penguin Random House.
To guarantee yourself a copy of Nom Yourself: Simple Vegan Cooking, you can purchase it on Amazon. Otherwise, enter below to win! Good luck!! *Update 9/20/15: This giveaway has ended and the winner has been notified. Thanks to all who entered!*