Sweet and mildly spicy, hearty and delicious, this Sloppy BBQ sandwich is husband and kid approved! It comes together quickly and easily. You’re gonna want seconds!
Sweet. Spicy. Saucy. Sandwich perfection.
Pile the BBQ goodness high on a bun then top it with creamy coleslaw and crispy pickles. Grab a few napkins and prepare to chow down on your new favorite meal.
It’s quick, easy, and totally delicious!
This is one of my go-to weeknight meals. It comes together in less than an hour and much of it can be made ahead of time to speed things up even more. See my notes in the recipe card for exactly how to time everything so all components of the dish are ready at the same time.
It’s also an easy dinner that I know my whole family will love. It’s husband and kid approved!
More easy weeknight family meals
Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce
This BBQ Sauce comes together easily in your blender. Then it just needs to simmer for 15 -20 minutes to let the flavors meld and to become thick and delicious.
It has a base of tomato paste, and two different vinegars to give it a nice tang. Pure maple syrup brings sweetness and balance to the acid. Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce give it a nice smoky kick.
I add just one chipotle pepper when the kids are eating, but 2 if it’s just adults. Feel free to adjust to your heat tolerance.
A few spices and some water to thin completes the sauce.
More vegan BBQ recipes
Easy Vegan Coleslaw
I call this cheater coleslaw because the base of the creamy sauce is store-bought vegan mayo and the cabbage/carrot mix is store-bought coleslaw mix. Just a few extra ingredients turn these easy prepared items into creamy dairy free deliciousness.
Cooling coleslaw is the ideal contrast to the spicy smoky flavors of the chickpeas on this BBQ Sandwich.
Flavor and Texture
Texture is so important when it comes to good food.
This BBQ Sandwich is not lacking in texture. The bbq chickpeas are “meaty.” I mash half of them to give some body to the mixture and to help hold everything together, but I leave the other half whole for a bulk.
The dairy free coleslaw is creamy yet still crisp. The pickles are briny and crunchy (my current addiction is Trader Joe’s Organic Hot & Spicy Dill Pickle Chips!). And, of course, the bun adds yet another layer of texture – feel free to use your fave. My kids loved these BBQ Sandwiches on pretzel buns!
Complete the meal
There is so much going on in these sandwiches, you don’t need much else. But if you want to round out your meal even more, try serving it with fresh corn on the cob, Corn Salad, Sweet Potato Fries, Vegan Mac and Cheese, Pasta Salad, or a simple green side salad.
Looking for more? Check out this awesome roundup of Vegan Side Dishes!
This recipe makes enough for 8 sandwiches, but trust me, you’re going to want seconds. And even if you’re too full for seconds, leftovers taste awesome, so you’ll have dinner done for two nights this week! Score!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce (Makes 1.5 cups)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo (use 2 if you like it spicy)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ cup water (or more as needed) (to thin)
Cheater Vegan Coleslaw
- 14 ounces store-bought coleslaw mix (or freshly shredded green and red cabbage and shredded carrots)
- ½ cup Just Mayo (or your fave store-bought or homemade vegan mayo)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- Chopped cilantro (for garnish) (optional)
Pineapple Chickpea BBQ Sandwiches
- 2 (15 ounces) cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- ¼ of a red onion (diced)
- 15 ounces canned crushed pineapple (drained)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 recipe Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce (above)
- 1 recipe Cheater Vegan Coleslaw (above)
- 8 burger buns (your choice) (gluten free if desired)
- Pickles (optional)
For the Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- Put all ingredients into a high speed blender and purée until smooth
- Transfer to a medium pot and simmer 15-20 minutes until desired consistency is reached. (You're going to add the chickpea mixture to this pot later, so use one big enough - not just a small sauce pot).
For the Cheater Vegan Coleslaw
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the vegan mayo, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, yellow mustard, and celery salt.
- Add the coleslaw mix and toss well until everything is well covered.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Sprinkle on chopped fresh cilantro, if using, for garnish just before serving.
For the Pineapple Chickpea BBQ Sandwiches
- Add one can of rinsed, drained chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or a fork.
- Add the other can of chickpeas, red onion, drained crushed pineapple and cilantro.
- When the BBQ Sauce is done simmering and has thickened up to your liking, add the chickpea mixture and stir well. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes to heat through.
- To serve, scoop some of the BBQ Chickpeas onto a bun. Top with coleslaw and pickles, if desired. Devour!
You can have this meal on the table in less than 45 minutes if you time it right.
Make the BBQ Sauce first. Once it's simmering, make the coleslaw and put it in the fridge. Then make the chickpea pineapple mixture. You should be able to make both of those in the 20 minutes that the sauce is simmering. Once the sauce has simmered, add the chickpea mixture and simmer another 10 minutes to heat through. While the final simmering is happening, get out the buns, pickles, and plates.
Voila - fabulous vegan BBQ dinner in 45 minutes!
~Nutrition facts calculated without buns or pickles.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 573mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 9gSugar: 27gProtein: 9g