These Chocolate Chip Cupcakes w/ Cocoa & Tahini are adorable little mini cupcakes perfect for Valentine’s Day. Treat your sweetie…or your kids…or yourself…to some chocolate indulgence made healthier with no dairy, no eggs, no oil, and no refined sugar.
We’re only a week away from Valentine’s Day. While I’m not big on a showy celebration, I do enjoy eating sweets!
It doesn’t have to be a holiday for me to indulge in some decadent chocolate, but it is probably the only time you’ll see me busting out the heart shaped cupcake pan. And who can resist little chocolate heart shaped cupcakes? Not my kids, that’s for sure. I lost count of how many they have eaten.
Ok, I’ll admit, I lost count on how many I have eaten! And you will too!
As far as cupcakes go, these Chocolate Chip Cupcakes are pretty healthy. You don’t need eggs, dairy, oil, or refined sugar to make a delicious, melt in your mouth treat. And there’s only ½ cup of flour in the whole recipe too. What you will find is:
- luscious deep chocolate flavor
- vitamin and mineral rich tahini, which balances out the sweetness perfectly
- little bites of chocolate chips – heaven!
- healthy plant protein
- healthy unsaturated fats
I drizzled on some lightly hued pink icing, mostly for my girls’ benefit.
I had a bottle of cran-apple juice in the fridge and used that instead of non-dairy milk to mix with the powdered sugar.
You can use anything red – beet juice would make a gorgeous color.
As much as we loved the addition of the icing, it’s absolutely not necessary.
Check out the soft, fluffy texture of the inside of the cupcake above. These mini Tahini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes are so light and moist. No one will know these are dairy free, oil free, egg free, and refined sugar free!
Bonus – they are nut free too, so feel free to pack one in your kids’ lunch to show them how much you love them!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Tahini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes (Vegan, Oil Free)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 12-cavity heart shaped mini muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a medium mxing bowl, whisk together the tahini, vanilla, and non-dairy milk.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cavity no more than half way.
- Bake 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 20-30 minutes** before removing from the pan.
- Drizzle icing, if using, over the top of the cupcakes before serving.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.