Chocolate Chip Cupcakes w/ Cocoa & Tahini – These adorable little mini cupcakes are perfect for Valentine’s Day. Treat your sweetie…or your kids…or yourself…to some chocolate indulgence made healthier with no dairy, no eggs, no oil, and no refined sugar.
We’re only a week away from Valentine’s Day. While I’m not big on a showy celebration, I do enjoy eating sweets!
It doesn’t have to be a holiday for me to indulge in some decadent chocolate, but it is probably the only time you’ll see me busting out the heart shaped cupcake pan. And who can resist little chocolate heart shaped cupcakes? Not my kids, that’s for sure. I lost count of how many they have eaten.
Ok, I’ll admit, I lost count on how many I have eaten! And you will too!
As far as cupcakes go, these Chocolate Chip Cupcakes are pretty healthy. You don’t need eggs, dairy, oil, or refined sugar to make a delicious, melt in your mouth treat. And there’s only 1/2 cup of flour in the whole recipe too. What you will find is:
- luscious deep chocolate flavor
- vitamin and mineral rich tahini, which balances out the sweetness perfectly
- little bites of chocolate chips – heaven!
- healthy plant protein
- healthy unsaturated fats
I drizzled on some lightly hued pink icing, mostly for my girls’ benefit.
I had a bottle of cran-apple juice in the fridge and used that instead of non-dairy milk to mix with the powdered sugar.
You can use anything red – beet juice would make a gorgeous color.
As much as we loved the addition of the icing, it’s absolutely not necessary.
Perfectly Soft Texture
Check out the soft, fluffy texture of the inside of the cupcake above. These mini Tahini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes are so light and moist. No one will know these are dairy free, oil free, egg free, and refined sugar free!
Bonus – they are nut free too, so feel free to pack one in your kids’ lunch to show them how much you love them!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Tahini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
I hope you love these Tahini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating.
You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it!
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar or organic cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 12-cavity heart shaped mini muffin pan* with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a medium mxing bowl, whisk together the tahini, vanilla, and non-dairy milk.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cavity no more than half way.
- Bake 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 20-30 minutes** before removing from the pan.
- Drizzle icing, if using, over the top of the cupcakes before serving.
*If you don't have a heart shaped mini muffin pan, a regular mini muffin pan will work just fine, you just obviously won't have heart shaped cupcakes. Alternately, a regular size muffin pan may be used. Fill each cavity about 3/4 of the way full. Bake 25-28 minutes. You should get about 8 cupcakes.
**These cupcakes are soft, fluffy and delicate. Make sure you let them cool in the pan before removing them or you may have cupcake crumbles instead.
More Valentine’s Day Recipes to Love: