Autumn Burger – from the new cookbook by Sophia DeSantis, Vegan Burgers and Burritos. This vegan burger is made from all whole food ingredients and so full of flavor. Accompanied by an amazing healthy vegan mayo, these burgers will make your entire family happy!
It’s never been easier for vegans and those following a plant based diet to find easy delicious recipes.
There are so many awesome vegan cookbooks out there right now. And I’m proud to say that a number of them are written by friends of mine.
The latest and greatest that I’ve gotten my hands on is Vegan Burgers and Burritos: Easy and Delicious Whole Food Recipes for the Everyday Cook by the lovely Sophia DeSantis.
Keep reading for a complete review of this new book and the recipes for her flavorful Autumn Burger and totally legit Healthy Vegan Mayo.
Sophia is the fun loving voice, recipe developer, and photographer behind the popular blog, Veggies Don’t Bite. Her philosophy on diet, and life in general, aligns closely to my own – balance.
I’ve been enjoying her recipes for years. She’s the queen of all things burger, burrito, and especially…sauce! You might remember her BBQ Tahini Sauce being the inspiration for my BBQ Kidney Bean & Kale Burger.
I was lucky enough to have met Sophia several years ago when I was in California for a conference. She was so easy to talk to and we chatted and laughed for hours while noshing on yummy vegan eats and lots of wine. Good times!
That’s Sophia in the photo above with her adorable family – clearly all of them just as fun as she is. So which team are you on? I’d have to go with #teamsauce myself – the sauce makes the meal!
Inside Vegan Burgers and Burritos
This cookbook is all about vegan burger and burrito recipes if you haven’t yet guessed. 27 Burgers and 26 Burritos to be exact. But you’ll also find 19 Sauces and 4 Sides! All of which are made from whole plant based foods, gluten free, and refined sugar free. Here’s a sneak peak of just a few to get your mouth watering.
Burgers: Margarita Pizza Burger; The All-American; A Curry Burger For All; Buffalo Wing Sliders; and even a couple of sweet offerings like Want S’more of My Burger
Burritos: Sweet Potato and White Bean “Sausage” Breakfast Burritos; My Big Fat Greek Burrito; Flaky “Fish” Burrito; Garden Delight; and again a sweet offering – Fully Loaded “Fried” Banana Split
Sauces: Worlds Best Roasted Salsa; Ultimate Onion Dip; Skinny Peanut Sauce; No-Cook Enchilada Sauce; Yiayia’s Authentic Tzatziki
Sides: Smoky Seasoned Sweet Potato Fries; Curried Carrot Fries
The recipes are rated by level of difficulty 1-3, but even the recipes listed as a 3 are pretty darn easy. The Vegan Burger recipe below is one of them! Sophia also has you covered in a section called Help! I Screwed It Up – read this section before you start cooking and you don’t have to worry about needing this section again. 🙂
Healthy Vegan Mayo
All of the vegan burger and burrito recipes in this book are accompanied by a sauce pairing.
The Autumn Burger I made gets paired up with Sophia’s Healthy Vegan Mayo, WHAT? (<- I love the creative titles she uses throughout this book).
This mayo is legit, guys! The consistency is exactly like traditional mayo, yet tastes even better. She adds a little extra lemon juice and thyme to the original recipe to pair it with the Autumn Burger and it’s divine!
Speaking of perfect consistency – this fall inspired vegan burger is spot on! Super flavorful and moist, yet firm and sturdy. The outside has a nice crunch. No mushy squishy burgers here!
Topped off with Sophia’s healthy vegan thyme mayo and some extra sautéed leeks – you’ll find yourself going back for seconds even on a full belly!
My hubby especially liked these burgers and he’s a hard one to win over as far as veggie burgers go.
More vegan burger recipes
- Spicy Bean Burgers
- Vegan Mexican Burger
- Chickpea Veggie Burger
- Falafel Burger
- Spinach Artichoke White Bean Burgers
- Hemp Tofu Burgers
- Asian Lentil Burgers
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Autumn Burger w/ Healthy Vegan Mayo
- 4 cups (719 g) chopped raw butternut squash
- 8 tbsp (118 ml) low-sodium veggie broth, divided (for roasting)(or drizzle of oil)
- 2 tsp (10 g) sea salt, divided
- ¾ cup (135 g) peeled and chopped apples
- ¾ cup (114 g) sliced leeks
- 1 ½ tbsp (14 g) chopped garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp (2.5 g) dried thyme
- 1 ½ cups (241 g) cooked brown rice
- 6 tbsp (55 g) pumpkin seeds
Lemon Thyme Mayo
- ¼ cup (55 g) Healthy Vegan Mayo, WHAT? (recipe follows)
- 2 tsp 10 ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400F (204C).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the squash with 5 tablespoons (74 ml) of broth or a drizzle of oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Place the squash on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the apples, leeks, garlic and thyme in the bowl and mix well with the other 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of broth or a drizzle of oil. Add this mixture to the cookie sheet with the roasted squash, mix around to incorporate and roast for 30 minutes.
- While the vegetable mixture is roasting, place the rice, pumpkin seeds and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt into a food processor. Pulse until chopped well.
- To make the Lemon Thyme Mayo, combine Healthy Vegan Mayo, WHAT? (instructions below), lemon juice and thyme in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside for serving.
- Once the veggie mix is done roasting, allow it to cool a few minutes, then add the mix to the processor and pulse only a few times to incorporate. Don’t overpulse.
- Place the mixture into a bowl, and put it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes; an hour is best. Making this the day before and letting it sit overnight is optimal. This helps all flavors marinate and leads to a sturdier burger.
- To cook, shape the mixture into patties. If you’re not using a nonstick pan, then you may want to prepare the pan by brushing it with a tad of oil to avoid sticking. Place the patties in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat for 15 minutes on each side. Pans and stovetops vary, so begin to check the patties at 10 minutes. If you try to slide your spatula under a patty and it won’t give, then it isn’t ready and needs to cook longer.
- You can also bake the patties on a parchment-lined cookie sheet at 375F (191C) for about 20 to 25 minutes on each side. Allow the patties to cool and set for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve on buns with the Lemon Thyme Mayo and toppings of your choice.
Healthy Vegan Mayo, WHAT?
- Put the cashews, water, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, mustard seed, and garlic into a high-speed blender and purée until smooth. Refrigerate the mayo to thicken.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.