Baked Zucchini Amaranth Patties – A quick and easy high protein recipe perfect for a weeknight. Serve it with a salad for a complete meal.
Raise your hand if you have more zucchini than you know what to do with this summer. Maybe you are growing it in your garden, you bought it at the farmers market or your neighbor dropped one off the size of your arm (we’ve all been there!). This recipe for oil free Baked Zucchini Amaranth Patties will help you use up some of that delicious green squash and will also introduce you to the nutritiously packed seed, amaranth.
What is Amaranth?
Amaranth is a gluten free, complete protein seed, belonging to the same family as quinoa and chard. Not only is it high in protein, but it also contains plenty of iron, fiber, magnesium and calcium. When cooked, it becomes like creamy like porridge while still maintaining a bit of a crunch. The flavor is slightly nutty. You can mix it with rice, quinoa or other grains to enhance the nutritional profile of a dish. Amaranth seeds can also be popped like popcorn and added to cereals or granola.
Texture and Flavor
These patties are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. I load them up with zucchini, onions, salsa and some spices to compliment the earthiness of the amaranth. And I serve them up with extra salsa and some vegan sour cream. They are delicious!
You can eat them on a bun like a burger if you want, they should stay together just fine, but I didn’t intend for them to be eaten that way. I like to use my fork to dip a piece in the salsa/vegan sour cream mixture…so yummy!
These amaranth patties come together quickly and easily and only take 30 minutes to bake, making them a perfect weeknight meal. Serve them with a salad for a complete meal.
Baked Zucchini Amaranth Patties
I hope you love these Zucchini Amaranth Patties as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
Baked Zucchini Amaranth Patties
- 1/2 cup amaranth seeds
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 shredded onion
- 1 15 oz can white beans (cannellini or great northern), or 1 1/2 cups cooked
- 1 tbsp salsa (your favorite)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup cornmeal or breadcrumbs (gluten free, if necessary)
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal
- Extra Salsa and Vegan Sour Cream for serving , if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a pot on the stove, place the amaranth and vegetables stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer, uncovered, until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, place white beans in a large bowl and smash with a potato masher or fork until mostly broken down (a few whole beans left is fine).
- Add all remaining ingredients to the white beans, including the amaranth once it's cooked and cooled enough to handle. Mix well.
- Form into patties (I like them on the smaller side - about 3 inches in diameter and less than 1/2 inch thick) and place onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes, flip the patties over and bake another 10 minutes until crispy on both sides.
- Serve with salsa and vegan sour cream, if using.
More Delicious Veggie Burgers and Patties to Love: