Black Bean Quinoa Chili – packed with protein and healthy veggies, this vegetarian chili is hearty and satisfying!
I know everyone is knee deep in Thanksgiving menu planning. If you still need more recipe ideas, check out all of my offerings HERE. But, in the meantime, we gotta get through the rest of the week first. That’s where this Black Bean Quinoa Chili comes in. It’s quick and easy, packed with protein and nutrition to get through your days, and it even tastes just as great leftover. So make yourself a big batch to eat throughout the week so you can better focus on the upcoming holiday.
In case you’re not convinced yet that chili doesn’t need meat to be hearty, savory and delicious, maybe you haven’t seen my Slow Cooker Black Bean Butternut Squash Chili, Easy Cheesy Chili Mac, or Pumpkin Lentil Chili. And if that’s not enough, I have even more on the blog, and I’m adding another one right now – this Black Bean Quinoa Chili.
Every time I create a new chili, I always think I’ve made a new favorite. That is, until I create a new one. I guess I just love chili so much that every single one is my favorite! And I think you’ll love this one too!
Chocolate in Chili?
I mean, really, is chocolate ever a bad idea? I think not. Now, before you start wondering if this black bean chili actually tastes like chocolate, let me assure you, it does not. The unsweetened cocoa powder (do not use milk chocolate or any other sweet chocolate) lends a great depth of flavor and a slight bitterness that complements the sweet peppers and corn and tones down the acidity of the tomatoes. No one will know it’s in there unless you tell them, but they will definitely know they like it!
My kids really loved this chili recipe! They thought it was especially awesome that they were eating “chocolate chili” as they called it. 🙂
Black Bean Quinoa Chili w/ Cocoa
I hope you love this vegan quinoa chili as much as we do. If you make it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Snap a quick pic and tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Lime wedges
- vegan sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips (not optional in my opinion!)
- In a soup pot on the stove, sautée the onion and green pepper in 3 tbsp of water for about 6-7 minutes until softened. Add additional water 1 tbsp at a time, as needed, so the vegetables don't stick.
- Add the shredded carrots, cocoa powder, and all spices (chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, allspice, salt, and liquid smoke) and mix well. Sautée another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, quinoa, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Uncover, add corn, and simmer another 5-10 minutes.
If you like your chili soupier, feel free to add an additional cup or two of vegetable broth.
Nutrition facts calculate without toppings.
More Vegan Chili Recipes to Love: