Blueberry Pecan Coconut Cookies – Chock full of nourishing ingredients, these sweet healthy cookies work just as well for breakfast as they do dessert!
These healthy cookies have been a staple around our house for years. They are full of healthy nourishing ingredients, but sweet enough to taste like a treat. They are a little bit like a chewy granola bar in cookie form, so they travel really well. These Blueberry Pecan Coconut Cookies have joined us on almost all of our outings that require snacks. The kids love these cookies! And they best part is that they are refined sugar free, oil free, gluten free and, as always, dairy free and egg free!
With only a 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup in this entire recipe, you can feel good about your kids (or yourself) snacking on these delicious little cookies. Don’t worry though, there is plenty of sweetness packed into them from the applesauce and dried blueberries too. And, you know me, I always add cinnamon to my sweet treats which gives these cookies a delightful spice.
This recipe is actually quite versatile. If dried blueberries aren’t your thing, you can use dried cranberries or raisins or even chocolate chips. You can swap out the pecans for walnuts or almonds, etc. You could even use almond extract instead of vanilla. The combinations are endless! You can’t go wrong.
Feel free to indulge in these healthy cookies for breakfast too! I’ve been posting a lot of recipes lately that fall into the snack and/or breakfast category, but that’s because it’s summer and we are always out and about. We tend to snack a bit more and eat full meals a bit less. I do have some tasty entrees planned for the blog very soon though, so if you are looking for more of those, stay tuned!
In the meantime, enjoy these yummy coconut cookies!
Blueberry Pecan Coconut Cookies
I hope you love these Coconut Cookies as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it! Enjoy!
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup old fashioned gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup brown rice flour (whole wheat flour works too if you aren't concerned about gluten free)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut, oats, flax meal, hemp hearts, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine until everything is coated evenly.
- Add in the chopped pecans and dried blueberries and stir to combine.
- Using a small cookie scoop (or a spoon) drop the batter onto the parchment lined baking sheet. You can put them pretty close together as the cookies will not spread when baked. Flatten out the cookies with the back of a spoon or your hand if you want them flatter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned on the edges. Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. They will firm up as they cool.
- After the cookies are completely cool, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
More Delicious Gluten Free Cookies to Love: