Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes – light and nutty pancakes perfect for a weekday breakfast or a lazy weekend morning or even for entertaining guests!
Getting out of bed in the morning is hard. Especially when it’s cold and dark outside. How about treating yourself to some bright and cheery worth-getting-out-of-bed-for pancakes! Nutty in flavor, yet light in texture, they are kid friendly and can easily be made ahead of time. Oh, and by the way, they are gluten free, oil free, dairy free, egg free, and refined sugar free. Welcome into your world these beautiful Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes! And top them off with the sticky sweet Toasted Banana Caramel Sauce that I posted last week.
What is Buckwheat?
Buckwheat, despite its name, doesn’t contain wheat. In fact, it’s not even a grain at all. It’s actually a fruit seed and is related to the rhubarb family. Buckwheat is high in minerals, fiber, antioxidants and easily digestible protein. It gives these pancakes a delightful nutty flavor, while being incredibly healthy.
Variations on Color
At first glance you might think these are chocolate pancakes, but it’s just the dark color of the buckwheat. Different brands produce different variations on color. And, although they might look dense, they aren’t at all. We devoured most of these buckwheat pancakes with rivers of banana caramel, but my girls liked them just as well plain.
Funny story: One of my daughters (C, for those that know her) just walked up next to me as I’m writing this. She saw the picture on the computer screen and said, “Ooooo, we liked those! I ate all of those!” LOL! Yes, darling daughter, you pretty much did! So cute!
Quick and Easy (Even Freezer Friendly)
While these pancakes come together quickly and only take a few minutes per side to cook, if you still want something quicker, you can whip up a batch (or double) when you have time and then freeze the pancakes for a super easy weekday breakfast. Simply pop the frozen pancake into the toaster or microwave for a couple seconds and voila! A stack of delicious pancakes beckoning you makes waking up a tad bit easier!
Now, tell me:
Are you an early riser or snoozer?
What are your favorite pancake toppings?
Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes
I hope you love these Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. When the skillet is hot, using a 1/4 measuring cup (1/3 is fine too, for a bit larger pancakes), pour in the batter. Do not crowd the pan.
- When bubbles start to form and pop on the top of the batter, flip it over, and cook for another couple of minutes until cooked through. Adjust the heat as necessary. Repeat for remaining batter.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings. We love these with fresh bananas and berries and my Toasted Banana Caramel Sauce.
More Delicious Vegan Pancakes to Love: