These Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes are light and nutty and perfect for a weekday breakfast, a lazy weekend morning, or even for entertaining guests!
Getting out of bed in the morning is hard. Especially when it’s cold and dark outside. How about treating yourself to some bright and cheery worth-getting-out-of-bed-for pancakes!
Nutty in flavor, yet light in texture, they are kid friendly and can easily be made ahead of time.
They’re also gluten-free, oil-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and refined sugar-free. Welcome into your world these beautiful Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes!
And top them off with my sticky sweet Toasted Banana Caramel Sauce.
What is Buckwheat?
Buckwheat, despite its name, doesn’t contain wheat. In fact, it’s not even a grain at all.
It’s actually a fruit seed and is related to the rhubarb family.
Buckwheat is high in minerals, fiber, antioxidants and easily digestible protein. It gives these pancakes a delightful nutty flavor, while being incredibly healthy.
At first glance you might think these are chocolate pancakes, but it’s just the dark color of the buckwheat. Different brands produce different variations on color.
And, although they might look dense, they aren’t at all. We devoured most of these buckwheat pancakes with rivers of banana caramel, but my girls liked them just as well plain.
While these pancakes come together quickly and only take a few minutes per side to cook, if you still want something quicker, you can whip up a batch (or double) when you have time and then freeze the pancakes for a super easy weekday breakfast.
Simply pop the frozen pancake into the toaster or microwave for a couple seconds and voila! A stack of delicious pancakes beckoning you makes waking up a tad bit easier!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes
- sliced bananas or fruit of choice
- Toasted Banana Caramel Sauce
- Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. When the skillet is hot, using a ¼ measuring cup (⅓ is fine too, for a bit larger pancakes), pour in the batter. Do not crowd the pan.
- When bubbles start to form and pop on the top of the batter, flip it over, and cook for another couple of minutes until cooked through. Adjust the heat as necessary. Repeat for remaining batter.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings. We love these with fresh bananas and berries and my Toasted Banana Caramel Sauce..
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.