Taco Burger – all the flavors of your favorite taco inside a hearty veggie burger.
Happy Taco Tuesday! Or is it Burger Night? Whichever your heart desires, I’ve got you covered today! This vegan Taco Burger satisfies your craving for a hearty burger with all the flavors of a classic taco. So easy to make, Taco Tuesday might just become Taco Burger Night from here on out.
Quick and Easy
These taco burgers made my house smell amazing as they were cooking! When my son came home from school the first day I made these he asked, “Are we having tacos?” Sort of, buddy. He was not disappointed! And since they are baked, instead of pan fried, the majority of time it takes to make these is hands-off. It also means, they are oil-free! (Oh, and it also means the perfect accompaniment is chips and salsa…and you know how I feel about those things!)
Top It Off
Along with lettuce, tomato and avocado (taco staples, right?) I slathered on some of my Cumin Ranch and, wow, was it the perfect addition to this Taco Burger! I originally created that dressing to drizzle on my Black Bean Taco Salad, so naturally the flavors work really well with this too. And if you are following me on Instagram then you know because of this post that tortilla chips dipped in creamy cumin ranch dressing is also a stellar idea!
Taco Burger Recipe
Let’s get to the good stuff – the recipe for this amazing Taco Burger! I hope you love it as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it! Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup raw chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (or one 15 oz can)
- 1 cup cooked lentils (leftover lentils work great if you have them)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tbsp taco sauce (your favorite) (or use salsa)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 spanish onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup veggie broth or water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the veggie broth or water. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and sauté for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, pulse the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor until they resemble a fine crumb. Add the pinto beans, lentils, cilantro, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika and 1 tbsp taco sauce and pulse until combined. If the mixture seems a bit dry, add another tbsp taco sauce.
- When the peppers, onions and garlic are done, add them to the bean/lentil mixture and pulse a few times to combine.
- Form the mixture into patties* using your hands and place on the prepared baking sheet**.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping them over after 15 minutes.
*I like to make these slider size. I find that smaller patties hold up better than large ones. But, make them whatever size you like.
**You can stick the pre-baked patties into the fridge for 20-30 minutes, if you wish, to help them firm up even more. It does help a bit, but I don't feel it's completely necessary and usually skip this step if I'm short on time.
More Vegan Burger Recipes to Love:
Black Bean Salsa Burgers (15 minute recipe!)