Thank you Village Harvest for sponsoring this post. Every day Village Harvest is planting seeds of change and growing possibilities, one bag of goodness at a time.
Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars – quick and easy and made with nutrient packed gluten free whole grains, these bars make a hearty breakfast or satisfying snack. They’re also nut-free which makes them great for school lunch boxes, too! Kid and adult approved!
I don’t know about your family, but my kids seem to believe that they should be eating at least once an hour during the summer months. As soon as they leave the table from a meal, they are asking for a snack. And they are good eaters, so it’s not like they are leaving the table hungry.
They would happily eat crackers or pretzels all day if I let them, but they are just as content grabbing an apple or some sliced cucumbers and hummus.
Because they are running around outside quite frequently on these warmer days, they do need extra fuel to keep them going. These Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars are the perfect way to start their day or re-energize them during their adventures.
Once school is back in session, you bet these whole grain bars will satisfy their hungry tummies during homework time while they wait for dinner.
And they’re not just for kids – adults love them too!
Sweet and Hearty
I’ve packed these bars full of whole grains – thanks to Village Harvest Ancient Grain blend – seeds, and dried fruits.
They’re gluten free, oil free, refined sugar free, and nut free.
They have great texture from all the different grains, yet are soft and chewy.
They’ll keep in the fridge for a few days, but you can even freeze them to store them for longer. Let frozen bars sit out for a few minutes at room temperature to soften them back up. Put a frozen bar into a lunch box and it will be perfect by lunch time.
Village Harvest – Something Better Starts Here
Village Harvest is a company passionate about sustainability. They believe that means not only taking care of the planet, but also the workers that help bring the healthy whole grains to your door. They donate 1% of profits to run programs benefiting the farmers and local communities from which they source their products. They also donate 1% of their employees’ time to charitable causes and sustainability efforts.
As you can see, their products are about more than just rice – they’re about discovering new possibilities at home in the kitchen and thousands of miles away in the fields. This is a company whose products I’m proud to use!
NEW Organic Benefit Blends
Village Harvest just introduced three new Organic Benefit Blends – Organic Antioxidant Blend, Organic Ancients Grain Blend, and Organic Protein Blend – each offering their own distinctive combination of healthful goodness. These unique gluten free blends are filled with rice and grains and the nutrients your body craves.
I used the Organic Ancients Grain Blend in my breakfast bars proving that these healthy blends are not just for the dinner table.
Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grains Blend
My favorite of the three new blends is the Ancient Grain blend. It has millet, red and white quinoa, and buckwheat – three grains I love to use in my kitchen.
You could use this nutritious blend anywhere you would usually use rice or your favorite grain. It’s an easy way to pack a lot of nutrition into one dish.
Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars
I hope you love these Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars
- 1/2 cup Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grains Blend
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats, gluten free
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup oat flour*
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (or tahini) (or nut butter would work also)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Rinse and drain the Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grains Blend. Combine it with the water in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10-12 minutes until grains are tender. Do Not Overcook! Set aside to cool. (This step can be done in advance - up to several days before. Keep the grains in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready to use.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Let the ends overhang a bit to use as "handles" later to easily remove the bars from the pan.
- Once the grains are cool, combine them in a large mixing bowl with the oats, flaxmeal, oat flour, coconut sugar (if using), salt, dried blueberries and dried apricots.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sunflower seed butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir well to combine. Make sure that all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Press down firmly so the mixture is compact.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges start to turn golden.
- Place the baking pan on a wire cooling rack to allow the mixture to cool in the pan for at least 20-30 minutes. They will firm up as they sit.
- Carefully remove from the pan using the parchment "handles" and place onto the cooling rack to continue to cool completely. Once cool, cut into bars.
- Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. They can also be individually wrapped and frozen for easy grab-n-go breakfasts or snacks.