This Apple Pie Spiced Mixed Grain Hot Breakfast Cereal is a hearty, healthy, gluten free breakfast to get your day off to the right start!
We eat a lot of oatmeal around here. My kids love it! In fact, one of my twins would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let her. It’s a healthy, hearty breakfast that you can easily customize to fit your tastes. This week I decided to change it up just a bit and throw a few different grains together. I’ve tricked the kids before with millet in place of oatmeal, but this would be the first time I attempted to pull off several different whole grains in one bowl. Good news! They loved this Apple Pie Spiced Mixed Grain Hot Breakfast Cereal and even dug into seconds!
There is so much nutrition packed into one bowlful, you will feel energized and ready to take on the day! There’s quinoa, millet AND amaranth in this heart healthy breakfast! Those three ingredients team up to bring you an incredible amount of plant protein and fiber along with numerous vitamins and minerals, not to mention it’s gluten free!
Whole grains, fresh apples, warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and a little sweetness – doesn’t that just scream cozy? Heck, forget about breakfast, I wouldn’t mind curling up with a blanket on my couch at the end of the day and a bowlful of this goodness (and probably some bad TV like The Bachelor too!).
Apple Pie Spiced Mixed Grain Hot Breakfast Cereal
I hope you love this Hot Breakfast Cereal as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- chopped apples, chopped nuts, non-dairy milk
- Add quinoa, millet, amaranth and water to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat to med-low, add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes or until grains have softened, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- If mixture is too liquidy, simmer for a few more minutes until desired consistency is reached. If the mixture seems too thick, take off heat and stir in a little more water or non dairy milk.
- Serve warm topped with a splash of non dairy milk, more chopped apple pieces, and/or chopped nuts.
~Nutrition facts calculated without toppings.
More Warm Breakfasts to Love: