This Whole Grain Breakfast Porridge is a hearty, healthy dish to get your day off to the right start! It features a trio of quinoa, millet, and amaranth combined with crunchy apples and flavored with warm spices.
We eat a lot of oatmeal around here. My kids love it! In fact, one of my twins would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let her. It’s a healthy, hearty breakfast that you can easily customize to fit your tastes. This week I decided to change it up just a bit and throw a few different grains together. I’ve tricked the kids before with millet in place of oatmeal, but this would be the first time I attempted to pull off several different whole grains in one bowl. Good news! They loved this Apple Pie Spiced Mixed Grain Hot Breakfast Cereal and even dug into seconds!
There is so much nutrition packed into one bowlful, you will feel energized and ready to take on the day! There’s quinoa, millet AND amaranth in this heart healthy breakfast! Those three ingredients team up to bring you an incredible amount of plant protein and fiber along with numerous vitamins and minerals, not to mention it’s gluten free!
Whole grains, fresh apples, warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and a little sweetness – doesn’t that just scream cozy? Heck, forget about breakfast, I wouldn’t mind curling up with a blanket on my couch at the end of the day and a bowlful of this goodness (and probably some bad TV like The Bachelor too!).
More whole grain breakfast recipes
- Ancient Grain Breakfast Bars
- Quinoa Power Breakfast
- Healthy Breakfast Toast
- Baked Oatmeal Muffins
- Gluten-Free Buckwheat Pancakes
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Whole Grain Breakfast Porridge
- chopped apples
- chopped nuts, like pecans, walnuts, or almonds
- drizzle of non-dairy milk or coconut cream
- Add quinoa, millet, amaranth and water to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until grains have softened, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- If mixture is too liquidy, simmer for a few more minutes until desired consistency is reached. If the mixture seems too thick, take off heat and stir in a little more water or non-dairy milk.
- Serve warm topped with a splash of non-dairy milk, more chopped apples, and/or chopped nuts.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.