These Brown Rice Crispy Treats w/ Strawberries are super easy, super tasty, and absolutely no marshmallows needed!!
In my head, I always have these elaborate plans for super festive food and desserts for the 4th of July holiday. Everything red, white and blue, cut into star shapes, or designed into the shape of a flag. In reality though, I have neither the time nor the patience for such fare. Please tell me I’m not the only one who dreams of a Pinterest life, but lives a much simpler one.
These Brown Rice Crispy Treats w/ Strawberries are just as easy and delicious as the ones you remember from your childhood, but healthier and more festive.
I just got back from a 5 day vacation in Breckenridge, CO. My closest girlfriends and I are all turning 40 this year and we wanted a fabulous getaway to celebrate. It was everything I had hoped for and more.
I absolutely fell in love with Colorado, specifically Breck. It was so casual, everyone was so friendly, there is so much to do, and I could stare at the scenery for the rest of my life. I truly felt at peace there.
I’ve been trying to keep that zen-like feeling going here at home and that means getting back to easy recipes. Some of my favorite recipes on the blog, and also happen to be reader favorites, are simple, quick, and easy, like my Super Simple Burrito Bowl, Chickpea Salad, and Black Bean Salsa Burgers.
These Brown Rice Crispy Treats are going to fall into that same quick and easy category, and you are going to love them too!
Just like in my Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Bars, I used a combination of brown rice syrup and cashew butter in place of marshmallows in these Brown Rice Crispy Treats. And I added some freeze dried strawberries for extra flavor and sweetness, which also happens to make them quite festive.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Brown Rice Crispy Treats w/ Strawberries
- 4 cups gluten free crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 cup sliced freeze dried strawberries
- ½ cup cashew butter store bought or homemade
- ½ cup organic brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. It helps to spray a little cooking spray on the dish before placing the parchment paper to help it stay in place. Cut the paper long enough to hang over the sides and use these as handles later to easily pick up the whole block and take it out of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown rice cereal and freeze dried strawberries. Set aside.
- In a small pot on the stove, stir together the cashew butter, brown rice syrup and vanilla extract over low heat, stirring continuously, until pourable. This will only take a few minutes and the mixture will burn easily, so don’t walk away!
- Pour the liquid mixture over the cereal and strawberries, while stirring. Work quickly as it will thicken up as it cools.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish. Placing another piece of parchment paper on top and pressing on that will help you to spread the mixture evenly.
- Let the Brown Rice Crispy Treats set in the pan for about an hour before taking them out to cut into squares.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.
Karen K. says
Hi Jenn, I haven’t made this recipe yet. I’m wondering if agave would work in place of the brown rice syrup? Thanks!
Jenn Sebestyen says
I haven’t tried it, but I don’t think it would. Agave is much sweeter than brown rice syrup so you would need to use only about 1/2 as much, but it’s also not as thick so it wouldn’t have the binding power that brown rice syrup does.
Do you have a store or somewhere for us to buy freeze dried strawberries?
Jenn S. says
Hi, Sandie. I buy mine usually at Trader Joe’s, but I’ve seen them in nearly every grocery store. Target and Walmart both carry them and even the dollar store. Look for them buy the nuts/seeds and dried fruit.
These look fantastic! Would fresh strawberries work?
Jenn S. says
I’m not sure. They might be too wet and make the cereal mushy. If you try it, let me know! Thanks, Sam!
Sophia | Veggies Don't Bite says
I love rice krispie treats! One of my favorite sweet treats. Brown rice syrup with nut butter is a great sub for marshmallows and definitely my go to when I don’t have my dandies!! Great add on with the berries!
Jenn S. says
Thanks, Sophia! I’ve never done them with any other nut butter, but I’m thinking peanut butter ones would ROCK!
Vegan Heaven says
These look like the perfect snack, Jenn! Love how healthy they are! 🙂
Jenn S. says
Thank you, Sina!