Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Bars – Crunchy cereal bars with lots of chocolate and a subtle peppermint flavor. They taste like your favorite peppermint mocha.
I have created our go-to holiday treats! And they are guaranteed to be yours too! They are similar to the Rice Krispie treats you know and love, but slightly healthier and with a chocolate peppermint flavor to up the ante. Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Bars!
My husband loves peppermint. He eats candy canes like they are, well, candy. And his most favorite Christmastime treat is Peppermint Ice Cream.
I do not share his love for peppermint, however, I know its a staple flavor around the holidays so I wanted to create a recipe for the blog that I knew would be a big hit with others…and hubby, of course. If you’re not a peppermint lover either, you might want to try my Brown Rice Crispy Treats w/ Strawberries instead.
I do occasionally enjoy a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha during the holiday season. It’s not overly minty and when you throw in some chocolate, it’s actually quite delicious. It’s probably not healthy, but if you request it made with soy milk, it is vegan. (FYI: Not all the flavored syrups at Starbucks are vegan…some have dairy milk in them. Peppermint is good to go though.)
These Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Bars actually remind me of the flavors of that wonderful peppermint mocha. I started out wanting to make a simple “rice krispie” treat with a bit of peppermint flavor and they turned out to be so much more!
The first batch of chocolate I made was a recipe fail. It was way too thin. I had hope that it would set up in the fridge though, so I poured it on and waited. It didn’t set up…it seeped through the layers of cereal instead. And, guess, what? These peppermint bars turned into these beautiful marbled treats. I whipped up another batch of chocolate that did thicken and poured that on top too. Double the chocolate…double the deliciousness!
You have to try these chocolately minty crunchy bars. I can’t stop eating them…and I don’t like peppermint, remember? They are soooo good!
Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Bars
I hope you love these Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Bars as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- In a pot on stovetop, combine 1/2 cup cashew butter, brown rice syrup, vanilla extract, 1 tsp peppermint extract and powdered sugar. Whisk over medium-low heat until smooth.
- Pour cashew butter/brown rice syrup mixture over the cereal in a large bowl and mix well so that every bit of cereal is covered.
- Spread out in an 8x8 baking pan lined with parchment (make the parchment long enough so you have "handles" to lift out the whole square of bars once they are done).
- For the Chocolate Sauce: Combine 1 cup chocolate chips, coconut oil and 1/3 cup cashew butter in a pan on the stove over medium-low heat. (I used the same pan that I used for the cashew butter/brown rice syrup and I didn't even rinse it out!). Whisk until smooth. Pour the chocolate sauce over the entire top of the cereal bars.
- Put pan in fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- For the Chocolate Peppermint Ganache Topping: Combine 1 cup chocolate chips, almond milk and 1 tsp peppermint extract in a pot on the stove (again, same pot is fine..no need to wash in between).Whisk until smooth. This should be a much thicker chocolate than the sauce you already poured on the bars).
- Take cereal bars out of fridge and pour the ganache on top, spreading it out evenly over the bars.
- Put back in fridge for at least another 30 minutes until ganache topping is set.
~Crush some candy canes and sprinkle them on top for a pretty holiday presentation.
More Holiday Chocolate Recipes to Love: