Crunchy cereal bars with lots of chocolate and a subtle peppermint flavor. These Chocolate Peppermint Rice Crispy Bars taste like your favorite peppermint mocha!
I have created our go-to holiday treats! And they are guaranteed to be yours too!
They are similar to the Rice Krispie treats you know and love, but slightly healthier and with a chocolate peppermint flavor to up the ante. Chocolate Peppermint Rice Crispy Bars!
My husband loves peppermint. He eats candy canes like they are, well, candy. And his most favorite Christmastime treat is Peppermint Ice Cream.
I do not share his love for peppermint, however, I know its a staple flavor around the holidays so I wanted to create a recipe for the blog that I knew would be a big hit with others…and hubby, of course.
If you’re not a peppermint lover either, you might want to try my Brown Rice Crispy Treats w/ Strawberries instead.
BUT, as luck would have it, I actually loved the peppermint meets chocolate flavor (I kind of can’t stop eating them!) – so even if peppermint is usually not your thing, you might just find you love these rice crispy bars anyway! And then go try my Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with an added teaspoon of peppermint extract – you won’t be sorry!
I do occasionally enjoy a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha during the holiday season. It’s not overly minty and when you throw in some chocolate, it’s actually quite delicious. It’s probably not healthy, but if you request it made with soy milk, it is vegan. (FYI: Not all the flavored syrups at Starbucks are vegan…some have dairy milk in them. Peppermint is good to go though.)
These Chocolate Peppermint Rice Crispy Bars actually remind me of the flavors of that wonderful peppermint mocha. I can’t stop eating them!
Love mint? Don’t miss these minty vegan recipes:
You have to try these chocolatey minty crunchy bars. I can’t stop eating them…and I don’t like peppermint, remember? They are soooo good!
These crispy bars would be delicious any time of year, but top them off with some crushed candy canes and they instantly become a festive holiday treat!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Chocolate Peppermint Rice Crispy Bars
Peppermint Cereal Bars
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache Topping
- 3 candy canes (crushed)*
- In a pot on stovetop, combine ½ cup cashew butter, brown rice syrup, vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and powdered sugar. Whisk over medium-low heat until smooth.
- Pour cashew butter/brown rice syrup mixture over the cereal in a large bowl and mix well so that every bit of cereal is covered.
- Spread out in an 8×8 baking pan lined with parchment (make the parchment long enough so you have “handles” to lift out the whole square of bars once they are done).
- Put pan in fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- For the Chocolate Peppermint Ganache Topping: Combine 1 cup chocolate chips, almond milk and 1 tsp peppermint extract in a pot on the stove. Whisk until smooth. If the ganache is too thick, add more milk 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Take cereal bars out of fridge and pour the ganache on top, spreading it out evenly over the bars.
- Put back in fridge for at least another 30 minutes until ganache topping is set. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy canes over the top.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.