These Cinnamon Scones with pure maple syrup and pecans are healthy enough for breakfast, yet sweet enough for dessert!
Gosh, I love cinnamon! I don’t think that’s much of a secret anymore. I put cinnamon in pretty much every sweet recipe I make and even some savory ones!
I’ve been playing around with some scone recipes lately (strawberry, blueberry), but these Maple Pecan Cinnamon Scones are my favorite, so naturally they are the ones to make the blog!
They are made with healthy whole grain wheat flour, flaxmeal and pecans and lightly sweetened with pure maple syrup, making these dairy free and egg free scones the perfect breakfast, snack, dessert or anytime treat!
Scones come in all shapes and sizes. And some have a yummy glaze on top. I was originally going to make a cinnamon cashew cream glaze, which I still think would be dynamite, but I got lazy and did a simple cinnamon sugar topping that I sprinkled on before baking. This makes for a wonderful sweet crunch when you take a bite!
The centers of these cinnamon scones are dense, but soft with a nice texture thanks to the chopped pecans. I have to confess, I took the easy route. Scone dough is typically fragile and you have to be very careful not to overwork it. I made these a bit more cake-like.
In fact, I didn’t even cut them into slices until after they baked, soooooo, technically maybe I should call this Maple Pecan Cinnamon Cake instead. The definition of a scone is a single-serving cake or quick bread and, in the end, that’s what we have, friends.
I assure you can easily pick up these individual slices with your hand and eat them just like a scone. And scone sounds cuter than cake, no?
And if you haven’t figured it out by now, I love a sweet drizzle of pure maple syrup just about as much as I love cinnamon. There’s only ¼ cup maple syrup in this entire recipe, so you don’t have to feel bad about adding that extra sweetness before eating if you desire.
Sweet. Crunchy. Nutty. Fragrant. Warm. Wholesome. Delicious. You know you want some!
More vegan cinnamon recipes
- Cinnamon Chickpea Blondies
- Vegan Cinnamon Cookies
- Vegan Cinnamon Truffles
- Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Cinnamon Sugar Crunchy Chickpeas
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Maple Pecan Cinnamon Scones
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- equal parts ground cinnamon and sugar (use organic sugar to keep it vegan)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make your cinnamon sugar topping: add 1 to 2 tablespoons each of cinnamon and sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, arrowroot powder, flax meal, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar until frothy (should only take a few seconds). Add the maple syrup and whisk again.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread the batter evenly into the parchment lined cake pan. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar topping…as much as you like…I used about 2 tablespoons of my mixture.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes on a wire rack before cutting into 8 individual slices.