Cinnamon Scones with maple syrup and pecans – healthy enough for breakfast, sweet enough for dessert!
Gosh, I love cinnamon! I don’t think that’s much of a secret anymore. I put cinnamon in pretty much every sweet recipe I make and even some savory ones! I’ve been playing around with some scone recipes lately (strawberry, blueberry), but these Maple Pecan Cinnamon Scones are my favorite, so naturally they are the ones to make the blog! They are made with healthy whole grain wheat flour, flaxmeal and pecans and lightly sweetened with pure maple syrup, making these dairy free and egg free scones the perfect breakfast, snack, dessert or anytime treat!
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
Scones come in all shapes and sizes. And some have a yummy glaze on top. I was originally going to make a cinnamon cashew cream glaze, which I still think would be dynamite, but I got lazy and did a simple cinnamon sugar topping that I sprinkled on before baking. This makes for a wonderful sweet crunch when you take a bite!
Scone or Cake? Who Cares, They’re Delicious!
The centers of these cinnamon scones are dense, but soft with a nice texture thanks to the chopped pecans. I have to confess, I cheated a bit. Scone dough is typically fragile and you have to be very careful not to overwork it. I made these a bit more cake-like. In fact, I didn’t even cut them into slices until after they baked, soooooo, technically maybe I should call this Maple Pecan Cinnamon Cake instead. The definition of a scone is a single-serving cake or quick bread and, in the end, that’s what we have friends. I assure you can easily pick up these individual slices with your hand and eat them just like a scone. And scone sounds cuter than cake, no?
Touch of Sweetness
And if you haven’t figured it out by now, I love a sweet drizzle of pure maple syrup just about as much as I love cinnamon. There’s only 1/4 cup maple syrup in this entire recipe, so you don’t have to feel bad about adding that extra sweetness before eating if you desire.
Sweet. Crunchy. Nutty. Fragrant. Warm. Wholesome. Delicious. You know you want some!
Maple Pecan Cinnamon Scones
I hope you love these Cinnamon Scones as much as we do. If you try them please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it! Enjoy!
- equal parts ground cinnamon and sugar (use organic sugar to keep it vegan)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make your cinnamon sugar topping: add 1-2 tbsp each of cinnamon and sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, arrowroot powder, flax meal, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar until frothy (should only take a few seconds). Add the maple syrup and whisk again.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread the batter evenly into the parchment lined cake pan. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar topping...as much as you like...I used about 2 tbsp of my mixture.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes on a wire rack before cutting into 8 individual slices.
More Vegan Cinnamon Recipes To Love: