This Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup is quick, easy, and super flavorful! The perfect balance of noodles, veggies, and broth. Top it off with as much hot sauce as you can handle. It’s a 30 minute meal you’ll crave!
This quick Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup is the cure for what ails you! It’s loaded with veggies, garlic, ginger and hot sauce to clear your congestion. With all the illnesses going around during this polar vortex winter, you need this on your table stat!
If you’re already feeling great, then keep that feeling going by whipping up this nutritious soup for an easy immunity-boosting lunch or dinner. You’ll be glad you did!
Ramen is an Asian noodle soup dish. The word “ramen” loosely translated from Chinese means pulled noodles.
Ramen noodles are made from just four ingredients: wheat flour, water, salt, and kansui (a type of alkaline mineral water). While ramen noodles are naturally vegan, the soup is traditionally not vegan-friendly.
Traditional recipes consist of an animal based broth flavored with miso or soy sauce, Chinese wheat noodles, and a variety of toppings, such as of thin slices of pork, mushrooms, seaweed, green onions, etc.
Lucky for us, it’s quite easy to make a homemade vegan version of this delightful noodle soup. While my Americanized version is far from authentic, it is delicious, easy and flavorful!
Store-bought vegetable broth is flavored with garlic, ginger, turmeric, and tamari. I use carrots, red bell peppers, mushrooms, and collards leaves (instead of seaweed because I’m not a huge fan) to add color, texture, vitamins, and minerals. And, of course, ramen noodles are used.
I like to top it off with several dashes of hot sauce, sriracha, or homemade sambal oelek.
You can find dry ramen noodles in packages all by themselves in Asian groceries or Ethnic aisles of mainstream grocery stores. Sometimes, they are called Chinese noodles. And they may come wavy in square blocks or straight like spaghetti.
If you can’t find the noodles by themselves, you can buy the Instant Ramen packages, but DO NOT USE the flavor packet that comes with it!
How to make the recipe
Please scroll down to the recipe card for exact ingredient measurements and instructions.
I use store-bought vegetable broth which allows this soup to come together in less than 30 minutes, but feel free to use homemade if you prefer.I also like to use low-sodium broth since there is quite a bit of salty flavor from the tamari (or soy sauce).
- Sauté the garlic and ginger in a bit of water.
- Add the vegetables and sauté a few minutes to soften.
- Add the broth, spices, and seasonings
- Add the noodles and collard greens and cook until the noodles are tender
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary
- Slurp and enjoy!
Note: To make the carrot ribbons, use a vegetable peeler and peel off long thin slices. This ensures the carrots will be soft and easily slurped up with the noodles.
How to serve
If you are proficient at using chopsticks, pull out a few noodles and twist them around the chopsticks then dip them back into the broth to soak up the flavor, then bring them to your mouth and slurp! Take bites of the vegetables in between if you can’t scoop them up all together.
For those of you that find chopsticks a bit tricky to use, like me, a fork and spoon work just fine! I like to twist the noodles around my fork then use a spoon to scoop up some broth and veggies. I mean, maybe don’t do this if you find yourself in Japan or China or even in a fine dining Asian restaurant here in the States. But, if you’re in the comfort of your own home, I say make it easy!
Here’s the good news – no matter what utensil you use, ramen is meant to be slurped and eaten quickly. So, dig in!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Vegan Ramen Noodle Soup
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 2 carrots shredded or made into ribbons using a peeler
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- 4 ounces Shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 3 big collard leaves chiffonade
- 8 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth I like Trader Joe’s
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2-3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or Bragg's Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce or sriracha to taste (optional)
- 4 ounces dry ramen noodles
- Sauté garlic and ginger in 2 tablespoons water for 1 to 2 minutes until softened.
- Add pepper, carrots and mushrooms, stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, turmeric, and 2 tablespoons tamari and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Taste and add more tamari, if necessary.
- Add ramen noodles and collards, stir, and simmer another 3 to 5 minutes until noodles are tender.
- Add a few shakes of hot sauce (to taste).
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.