Simple, quick and affordable, these crunchy, smoky roasted chickpeas are as fun and satisfying as potato chips, but much healthier.
I don’t often crave salty snacks. I have much more of a sweet tooth, specifically for chocolate. My usual cravings can be satisfied by things like Peaches & Cream Donuts or Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes.
However, sometimes there is nothing better than a crunchy, salty snack. I can take down some chips and salsa like my life depends on it. If I start eating potato chips, I might eat the whole bag before I’m done.
These Smoky Roasted Chickpeas are a lifesaver when it comes to healthy snacking. They are super crunchy, loaded with flavor and salty goodness, and best yet, they are easy, affordable and healthy! Oh, and did I mention they are oil-free? I can take down a whole batch of these babies easily too, but I don’t have to worry about my waistline expanding like I would if I tore open that bag of potato chips. Get your (healthy) snack on!
Just 4 ingredients is all you need to make this smoky, salty, crunchy snack a reality in your kitchen. I can pretty much guarantee you probably have all of them in your pantry right now, especially if you’ve made any of my recipes recently. Chickpeas, smoked paprika, cumin and salt. I’ll wait while you go check…….Got it? Good! Now, if you’ve got 30 minutes – almost all of that hands off, by the way – you’re all set!
The most important thing to remember for this recipe is to make sure to dry the cooked chickpeas really well!! Let them hang out in a colander for a few minutes, shaking it every once in awhile to let the water drain through. Spread them out in an even layer on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Cover with another dish towel or paper towels and rub them until they are as dry as you can get them. If they are too moist, they won’t get crispy, so do not skip this step!
These Smoky Roasted Chickpeas are the perfect snack for any time of day. Coffee Break – check! After school snack – check! Post dinner munchies – check! Wine tasting – check! Game time – check! You can even take them on-the-go – to the park, on a hike, at the pool. My kids love these too!
Crunchy chickpeas are also a great addition to soups and salads. I use a similar version of crunchy roasted chickpeas in my Black Bean Taco Salad.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Smoky Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Be sure to pat dry your cooked chickpeas. Whether you cooked them from dried beans or opened up a can – you MUST dry them well. Place them in a single layer on a clean dish towel or paper towels, cover with another dish towel or paper towels and rub until completely dry.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl thoroughly.
- Place chickpeas on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast 25-35 minutes, shaking the pan at the 15 minute mark, again at 25 minute mark, and every 5 minutes after until crispy.
- Let cool. They get even crunchier as they cool.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Make sure they are fully cooled first or they will get soggy.