Thank you Village Harvest for sponsoring this post. Every day Village Harvest is planting seeds of change and growing possibilities, one bag of goodness at a time.
These Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars are quick and easy and made with nutrient packed gluten free whole grains. They make a hearty breakfast or satisfying snack. They’re also nut-free which makes them great for school lunch boxes, too! Kid and adult approved!
I don’t know about your family, but my kids seem to believe that they should be eating at least once an hour during the summer months. As soon as they leave the table from a meal, they are asking for a snack. And they are good eaters, so it’s not like they are leaving the table hungry.
They would happily eat crackers or pretzels all day if I let them, but they are just as content grabbing an apple or some sliced cucumbers and hummus.
Because they are running around outside quite frequently on these warmer days, they do need extra fuel to keep them going. These Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars are the perfect way to start their day or re-energize them during their adventures.
Once school is back in session, you bet these whole grain bars will satisfy their hungry tummies during homework time while they wait for dinner.
And they’re not just for kids – adults love them too!
I’ve packed these bars full of whole grains – thanks to Village Harvest Ancient Grain blend – seeds, and dried fruits.
They’re gluten free, oil free, refined sugar free, and nut free.
They have great texture from all the different grains, yet are soft and chewy.
They’ll keep in the fridge for a few days, but you can even freeze them to store them for longer. Let frozen bars sit out for a few minutes at room temperature to soften them back up. Put a frozen bar into a lunch box and it will be perfect by lunch time.
Village Harvest is a company passionate about sustainability. They believe that means not only taking care of the planet, but also the workers that help bring the healthy whole grains to your door. They donate 1% of profits to run programs benefiting the farmers and local communities from which they source their products. They also donate 1% of their employees’ time to charitable causes and sustainability efforts.
As you can see, their products are about more than just rice – they’re about discovering new possibilities at home in the kitchen and thousands of miles away in the fields. This is a company whose products I’m proud to use!
Village Harvest just introduced three new Organic Benefit Blends – Organic Antioxidant Blend, Organic Ancients Grain Blend, and Organic Protein Blend – each offering their own distinctive combination of healthful goodness. These unique gluten free blends are filled with rice and grains and the nutrients your body craves.
I used the Organic Ancients Grain Blend in my breakfast bars proving that these healthy blends are not just for the dinner table.
My favorite of the three new blends is the Ancient Grain blend. It has millet, red and white quinoa, and buckwheat – three grains I love to use in my kitchen.
You could use this nutritious blend anywhere you would usually use rice or your favorite grain. It’s an easy way to pack a lot of nutrition into one dish.
More vegan whole grain recipes
- Meatless Stuffed Pepper Soup with bulgur
- Apple Pie Mixed Grain Hot Breakfast Cereal with quinoa, millet, and amaranth
- Lemon Millet with Chickpeas and Dill
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Balls
- Roasted Veggie Rice Bowls
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Ancient Grains Breakfast Bars
- ½ cup Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grains Blend
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats, gluten free
- ¼ cup flax meal
- ¼ cup oat flour*
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup dried blueberries
- ½ cup diced dried apricots
- ¼ cup sunflower seed butter or tahini (or nut butter would work also)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Rinse and drain the Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grains Blend. Combine it with the water in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes until grains are tender. Do Not Overcook! Set aside to cool. (This step can be done in advance – up to several days before. Keep the grains in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready to use.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. Let the ends overhang a bit to use as "handles" later to easily remove the bars from the pan.
- Once the grains are cool, combine them in a large mixing bowl with the oats, flaxmeal, oat flour, coconut sugar (if using), salt, dried blueberries and dried apricots.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sunflower seed butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir well to combine. Make sure that all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Press down firmly so the mixture is compact.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the edges start to turn golden.
- Place the baking pan on a wire cooling rack to allow the mixture to cool in the pan for at least 20 to 30 minutes. They will firm up as they sit.
- Carefully remove from the pan using the parchment “handles” and place onto the cooling rack to continue to cool completely. Once cool, cut into bars.
- Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. They can also be individually wrapped and frozen for easy grab-n-go breakfasts or snacks.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.