Breakfast Nachos – they might seem naughty, but they are packed with healthy plant protein, filling fiber, nutritious veggies, and flavorful spices. A fun way to start the day!
I could live off chips and salsa. Or chips and guacamole. Or basically chips and dip of any kind. So, it’s no surprise that when I was asked to review the new cookbook by Robin Robertson, VEGANIZE IT!, I chose to try these loaded Breakfast Nachos. I mean, chips for breakfast? I’m totally on board with that!
Keep reading to grab the recipe for this morning deliciousness and for a chance to win your own copy of Veganize It: Easy DIY Recipes For a Plant-Based Kitchen.
VEGANIZE IT! is the latest cookbook by Robin Robertson. This is not the first time I’ve featured Robin’s delicious recipes on my blog. I’ve been a fan of hers for many years. I brought you her BBQ Jack Sandwiches back in 2015 when her book, Cook the Pantry, was released. All of the recipes in that book are 20 minutes or less! You should run and get yourself a copy now!
In VEGANIZE IT! Robin takes more than 150 of your traditional favorite recipes and turns them into delicious plant based meals. Whether you are a vegan who misses your favorite animal based foods, a new plant based eater who’s used to the typical meat and potatoes type dinners, an omnivore who’s trying to eat meatless a few times a week, or pretty much anyone else, this book is for YOU! Robin’s recipes are always easy to follow, easy to make, and made with easy to find ingredients. You’ll find getting dinner on the table is a snap with this cookbook as your guide.
There are 9 chapters in the book “organized primarily according to what type of animal products they replace in a vegan diet, such as dairy products, meat, charcuterie, seafood, and condiments.” There is also a chapter titled Vegan Basics. Here you’ll find advice on how to stock your pantry; which kitchen tools to have on hand; which products have hidden animal ingredients; and “ingredients to know”, like seitan and tempeh.
Take a Peek Inside Veganize It!
Here are some of my favorites from each chapter:
DIY Dairy-Free and Egg-Free, Too – Basic White Sauce; Melty Vegan Cheese; Loaded Baked Potatoes; Spinach and Mushroom-Bacon Quiche
Plant-Based Meats – Crispy Tofu; Mama’s Meatballs; White Bean Cutlets; Baked Seitan Roast
Vegan Charcuterie – Coconut Bacon Bits; Handcrafted Pepperoni (see above photo!); Spicy Italian Sausage; Maple Breakfast Sausage
Instead of Seafood – Clam-Free Chowder; Vegan Fish and Chips; Hearts of Palm and Artichoke Cakes; Vegan Crab Louis
Vegetable Steak-Out – Jumpin’ Jackfruit Chili; Roasted Cauliflower Piccata; Mushroom Stroganoff; Cheesy Steak-Out Sandwiches
Global Condiments, Sauces, and Dressings – Red Wine Sauce with Mushrooms; Remoulade Sauce;Vegan Aioli; Goddess Dressing;
Flour Power – Homemade Pasta; Easy Artisan Bread; Cheesy Crackers; Cranberry-Walnut Scones
Sweets From Scratch – Buttercream Frosting; Lemon Meringue Pie; Tiramisu; No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
I could go on and on – the entire book is my favorite! 🙂
What are you most excited to try?
Now for these Breakfast Nachos! They are totally loaded with southwest flavored tofu and black beans, tomato avocado salsa, cheesy queso sauce. If you start your day with nachos, it’s gonna be a good day, amiright?!
I hope you love these Breakfast Nachos as much as we do! If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. And don’t forget to enter the giveaway below! If you just can’t wait to see if you’ve won, you can ensure yourself a copy by ordering it here.
Breakfast Nachos from Veganize It
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 scallions (chopped)
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu (drained and diced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 15 oz canned black beans ( 1 ½ cups cooked)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and minced)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish, optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado (peeled, pitted, and diced)
- 1 recipe Smoky Queso Sauce (kept warm; recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ cups plain unsweetened almond milk (or water)
For the Queso Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
For the Breakfast Nachos
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and scallions and cook 2 minutes longer. Add the tofu and salt, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in the nutritional yeast, cumin, and turmeric. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Stir in the beans, cover, and keep warm. In a medium bowl, combine the tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt to taste and mix well. Gently stir in the avocado.
- To assemble, spoon a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of a large plate. Place half of the chips on top of the sauce. Spoon half of the sauce on top of the chips, followed by half of the tofu and beans, and then half of the salsa. Top with the remaining chips and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately, garnished with additional cilantro, if using.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.
Now it’s your chance to own this book for FREE! Enter below. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
More recipes from VEGANIZE IT! online:
Cauliflower Piccata featured on Diane’s Vegan Kitchen
Hearts of Palm & Artichoke Cakes featured on VNutrition
Vegan Cheesy Crackers featured on Glue & Glitter
More Hearty Plant Based Breakfasts to Love: