Cucumber Bites filled with Sun Dried Tomato Spread – flavorful little one bite appetizers perfect for summer entertaining.
Tis the season for garden fresh veggies. Tis also the season for summer entertaining. I’m sure many of you will be having Father’s Day celebrations this Sunday and that means you’re going to need easy appetizers to nibble on. These Cucumber Bites with Sun Dried Tomato Spread are quick, easy and can be mostly made ahead of time, which means you have more time to spend with dear ol’ Dad.
Sun Dried Tomato Spread – Make it Ahead
This Sun Dried Tomato Spread is one of my favorite dips on the blog. It packs a lot of flavor and is very easy to make. This creamy spread also pairs beautifully with the crisp cool cucumbers. You need to soak your cashews and sun dried tomatoes for about 30 minutes first, but fear not, because you can make this entire dip ahead of time…even a few days ahead of time. Keep it in the fridge and try not to eat it all before you get around to filling your cucumber cups.
Ways to Fill
There are a few easy ways to fill these cucumber cups.
- The easiest way is with a small spoon, although this might not be the fanciest way, but it certainly does the trick.
- If you want them all to be uniform and lovely, a pastry bag works best. You can even get creative and use a fancy flower tip to pipe in the filling (notice I didn’t do that).
- A third option is similar to using a pastry bag, but doesn’t require you to actually buy any pastry bags. You can use whatever kind of plastic food storage bag you have, fill it with your sun dried tomato spread and press it into one of the bottom corners. When you’re ready to fill the cucumber cups, simply snip off a tiny corner of the bag and gently squeeze the filling from the top like you would with a pastry bag.
Don’t save these JUST for entertaining though. The kids and I have managed to make almost a complete meal out of these little guys. They make a great light lunch or healthy snack.
Cucumber Bites with Sun Dried Tomato Spread
I hope you’ll try these delicious little Cucumber Bites! They are sure to please at your classy summer soirées as much as at your casual backyard BBQs. If you do try them, come back and leave me your feedback below. I also love seeing your pics so tag me @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired on social media so I’m sure to see it.
- 1 English cucumber (cut into 1 inch thick slices)
- 1/2 recipe Sun Dried Tomato Spread
- sprinkle of hemp hearts (optional, for garnish)
- tiny basil leaves (optional, for garnish)
- Make the Sun Dried Tomato Spread. This can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to several days.
- When ready to serve, cut the cucumber into slices. Using a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon like a melon baller, take out the seeds of each slice. Don't scoop all the way through, you want the bottom of the slice to be intact so your filing will sit inside.
- Fill each cucumber "cup" with the sun dried tomato spread (you can use a spoon or place the mixture into a pastry bag and pipe the filling in.
- Garnish with hemp hearts, tiny basil leaves or both (optional)
~Depending on the size of your cucumber, you will get about 12-16 bites.
~I suggest making a full batch of the Sun Dried Tomato Spread. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for several days. It is great as a sandwich spread, on veggie burgers, or as a dip for crackers and raw veggies.
You might also like:
Get even more Healthy Snack Recipes.