Lentil Rice Soup – A hearty, flavorful, protein packed and veggie loaded soup sure to warm your belly and your soul.
Just want to let you know that this post is sponsored by Lotus Foods. All content and opinions are my own.
It’s a weeknight, it’s cold out, you’re tired and the kids are cranky. (No? Just me?) You are craving a big bowl of warm hearty soup, but that would take hours, right? No! I know your grandmother used to simmer soup all day long, but it’s really just not necessary. This Lentil Rice Soup will take you about 50 minutes, but the majority of that is hands off time. Perfect amount of time to help the kids with their homework while this simmers away on the stove. Packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, this soup will warm your belly and your soul.
Hearty Lentil Soup
Growing up, my mom was always the cook in our family (except for homemade pizza…I remember my dad doing that), but it’s my dad’s thoughts on food that I remember the most. He likes his food HOT – “if I’m not sweating, it’s not hot enough.” And I specifically remember two things about soup – if it’s potato soup it needs lots of celery salt and any kind of soup better be thick! None of those thin brothy soups for him. “If my spoon doesn’t stand up in it, it’s not thick enough.” LOL! Isn’t it funny the things we remember? I tried the spoon trick in this Lentil Rice Soup and it just about worked!! This is a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs lentil soup recipe! If you like your soup on the thinner side, never fear, a few extra cups of veggie broth will do the trick.
About Lotus Foods
I’ve been meaning to make a soup like this for quite some time, so when I was contacted by Meatless Monday, who teamed up with Lotus Foods, and asked me try out some of Lotus Foods’ product, I knew immediately what I would be making. The rice I used was their Organic Volcano Rice, which is a blend of Sintanur brown rice, whole grain red rice and lightly milled red rice. Focused on sustainable global agriculture, all of U.S. based Lotus Foods’ rice comes from small family rice farmers in developing countries. I really like what this company stands for and they have quite a variety of delicious rice products available, including Rice Ramen.
Cook Once, Eat Twice
This recipe makes a big pot of soup, so lucky for you leftovers taste just as amazing. Pack it up in a thermos and take it to work or send it in your child’s lunchbox. It does continue to thicken up as it sits (your welcome, Dad!) so you may need to add a cup or so of broth or water when you reheat.
Grab a hunk of crusty bread to eat alongside this flavorful, protein packed and veggie loaded soup. Comfort food at it’s best!
Lentil Rice Soup
I hope you love this Lentil Rice Soup as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
Lentil Rice Soup
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup dried green lentils (rinsed and picked over)
- 1 cup Lotus Foods Organic Volcano Rice (or brown rice)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp tamari (divided)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- 1 can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 7-8 cups vegetable broth (depending on how thick you like it.) (If you like a thinner soup, you may want to add even more)
- Juice of 1-2 lemons (to taste)
- Saute the onion and garlic in 1/4 cup of vegetable broth for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Add celery and carrots and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, rice, thyme, 1 tsp tamari, salt, pepper, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes until lentils and rice are cooked through, but not mushy.
- Take off heat, site in remaining 1 tsp of tamari and the juice of 1-2 lemons (to taste).
- Serve hot.
More Delicious Vegan Soups to Love: