Easy Tofu Scramble with Mushrooms – a protein packed, plant based breakfast to get you through your day!
Breakfast is the Best
Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day. When my hubby and I were first dating, my favorite date was a late morning brunch: sitting and talking while sipping on cup after cup of coffee and indulging in hearty breakfast fare. We continued these brunch time dates even after we were married. A lazy Sunday morning being our favorite time for a brunch outing. After a filling meal, even with all that coffee, naps were desperately needed later in the afternoon…which was fine when we only had to take care of ourselves. But breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day, so I doubt it should leave me wanting to curl up and do nothing. Thank goodness for this easy tofu scramble!
Easy Tofu Scramble
Now that we have kids, brunch at a restaurant is not quite the relaxing atmosphere it used to be. And my food choices aren’t the usual eggs, hash browns and bacon either. But sometimes, I do crave a good scramble. Enter – tofu! Firm tofu crumbles easily to resemble eggs and you can season it with anything you like. I always load it up with lots of fresh veggies and a few seasonings. You will probably be hard pressed to find a tofu scramble on most restaurant menus, but luckily for you, they are quick and easy to make at home and won’t leave you feeling bloated and sleepy. My favorite is this Easy Tofu Scramble with Mushrooms.
Why It’s So Great
Tofu is super high in calcium – 77%! It also boasts lots of manganese, copper, protein, omega-3 fats and iron. Just be sure to get non-GMO organic tofu. Mushrooms are a good source of B vitamins, potassium, selenium and antioxidants. Tomatoes are high in vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A and much more! If that weren’t enough, this easy tofu scramble is flavored with lots of spices – no bland tofu here!
Easy Tofu Scramble
Give this easy tofu scramble with mushrooms a try next time you are craving a hearty breakfast! If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 1 lb firm or extra firm tofu (drained and pressed)
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 of an onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- If you haven't already, drain your tofu and press it for at least 20 minutes. I wrap my block of tofu in a paper towel and put it on a plate. I put another plate over the top and weigh it down with bags of dried beans. Easy!
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in 1 tbsp water for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until they reduce in volume.
- Crumble the tofu into the skillet, add spices and stir to combine. Cook for a few more minutes to heat through and let the flavors meld.
- Take off heat, add tomatoes, stir again to combine.
- Serve hot.
~Serve with a side of roasted potatoes or whole wheat toast and jam and hot coffee or tea.