Curried Tofu Salad – Crumbled firm tofu, crisp celery, and juicy apples mingle amongst a creamy, tangy curry dressing. Perfect on it’s own, with crackers, or piled high on a sandwich. Quick and easy to make. Vegan and gluten free.
I have a new obsession and I can’t stop eating it.
It’s this Curried Tofu Salad!
I’ve been eating it two sandwiches at a time.
I don’t even care if I tear up the roof of my mouth on some straight-from-the-toaster bread because I love the contrast of the soft creamy tofu salad and the crunchy toast.
Morning, noon, and night, this has been my go-to for the last several weeks and I’ll be making another batch yet again this week because I just can’t get enough of the stuff.
Tastes Like Egg Salad
It tastes like egg salad.
Except that I never liked egg salad. And I especially never liked the smell of egg salad.
My tofu salad recipe, unlike most egg salads that I’ve seen, has some texture to it. I’m big on the crunch factor. There is no place for mush in my kitchen. I’ve added diced crisp celery and crunchy apple to bring life to an otherwise soft salad.
I’m also not loading it down with mayo. Just a few tablespoons of vegan mayo bring a wonderful creaminess to a dressing made mostly of coconut based yogurt. A touch of dijon and lemon juice add the perfect tang and balance.
And, of course, there’s the curry powder. It’s mild and earthy and brings just the right amount of flavor to keep you coming back for more…and more.
A vegan tofu eggless salad. Think of this as an egg salad you’ll actually want to eat!
Lunchtime Made Easy
This Curried Tofu Salad is so easy to make. After pressing your tofu (which is totally hands off), it can be made in about 5 minutes.
And the great thing about this recipe is that it tastes even better the next day after the tofu really has time to soak up all the flavors. So, whip it up ahead of time and it will be ready when you are to assemble your tofu salad sandwich.
Or enjoy it with crackers, stuffed into a pita, or straight up from a fork.
Love Sandwiches? Check out these recipes you’ll love!
- Chickpea Grape Salad Sandwiches (like creamy chicken salad, but so much better!)
- Easy White Bean Salad Pitas
- Sloppy Lentil Sandwiches
Curried Tofu Salad
I hope you love this Curried Tofu Salad as much as I do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback.
You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it.
Curried Tofu Salad
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy free plain yogurt (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative)
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tsp mild yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 15 oz firm or extra firm tofu (drained and pressed*)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1 sweet apple (cored, and diced) (I used a Gala)
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the yogurt, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- With your clean hands, crumble the pressed firm tofu into the same bowl. Don't be perfect - leave some pieces bigger than others and crumble some pieces smaller. This will help give the salad extra texture.
- Add the chopped celery, apple, green onion, and parsley to the tofu.
- Mix well until everything is well covered in the creamy curry dressing.
- You can enjoy this right way or store it in the fridge to let the flavors come together even more.
More Delicious Recipes to Make You Fall in Love with Tofu:
- BBQ Hawaiian Tofu Bowl
- Baked Tofu Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- Soothing Mushroom Ramen Soup with Crispy Tofu