Crumbled firm tofu, crisp celery, and juicy apples mingle amongst a creamy, tangy curry dressing in this delicious Curried Tofu Salad. Perfect on its own with crackers or piled high on a sandwich. Quick and easy to make. Vegan and gluten free.
I have a new obsession and I can’t stop eating it.
It’s this Curried Tofu Salad!
I’ve been eating it two sandwiches at a time.
I don’t even care if I tear up the roof of my mouth on some straight-from-the-toaster bread because I love the contrast of the soft creamy tofu salad and the crunchy toast.
Morning, noon, and night, this has been my go-to for the last several weeks and I’ll be making another batch yet again this week because I just can’t get enough of the stuff.
It tastes like egg salad.
Except that I never liked egg salad. And I especially never liked the smell of egg salad.
My tofu salad recipe, unlike most egg salads that I’ve seen, has some texture to it. I’m big on the crunch factor. There is no place for mush in my kitchen. I’ve added diced crisp celery and crunchy apple to bring life to an otherwise soft salad.
I’m also not loading it down with mayo. Just a few tablespoons of vegan mayo bring a wonderful creaminess to a dressing made mostly of coconut based yogurt. A touch of dijon and lemon juice add the perfect tang and balance.
And, of course, there’s the curry powder. It’s mild and earthy and brings just the right amount of flavor to keep you coming back for more…and more.
A vegan tofu eggless salad. Think of this as an egg salad you’ll actually want to eat!
This Curried Tofu Salad is so easy to make. After pressing your tofu (which is totally hands off), it can be made in about 5 minutes.
And the great thing about this recipe is that it tastes even better the next day after the tofu really has time to soak up all the flavors. So, whip it up ahead of time and it will be ready when you are to assemble your tofu salad sandwich.
Or enjoy it with crackers, stuffed into a pita, or straight up from a fork.
You’ll love these other vegan sandwich recipes:
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Curried Tofu Salad
- ½ cup unsweetened dairy free plain yogurt (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative)
- 2 tablespoons homemade vegan mayo or your favorite store-bought vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 ½ teaspoons mild yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 package (14-16 oz) firm or extra firm tofu drained and pressed
- 1 rib celery diced
- 1 sweet apple cored, and diced
- 2 green onions diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the yogurt, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- With your clean hands, crumble the pressed firm tofu into the same bowl. Don’t be perfect – leave some pieces bigger than others and crumble some pieces smaller. This will help give the salad extra texture.
- Add the chopped celery, apple, green onion, and parsley to the tofu.
- Mix well until everything is well covered in the creamy curry dressing.
- You can enjoy this right way or store it in the fridge to let the flavors come together even more.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.