Pepper Steak – veganized with mushrooms! This one pot “meaty” vegetarian dish is loaded with mushroom and peppers and has great depth of flavor. Served over rice, it’s comfort food at it’s best.
Pepper steak was always a favorite meal growing up. It is still to this day my hubby’s favorite!
I finally decided to recreate this dish into a healthier meatless meal. I’m happy to report that hubby loved it! In fact, he packed up some leftovers to take to work for lunch the next day all on his own – that’s a winner folks!
With only 8 ingredients, 1 pot, and 40 minutes needed, this Vegan Mushroom Pepper Steak is a new twist on an old classic comfort food.
Mushrooms contain B vitamins, potassium, selenium, protein and even Vitamin D.
They are also very low calorie and contain no fat or cholesterol.
Mushrooms don’t always make the perfect replacement for meat, but they work incredibly well in this dish, soaking up the flavors of the rich tomato based sauce.
Served Over Rice
I did have to pick out the mushrooms for my mushroom-hating son, but my girls gobbled this right up. And my son loved everything else about this dish.
I’ve found that if you add rice to pretty much any recipe and mix it all together, kids will eat it. Kids love rice. Well, mine do…but I think it’s universal.
Vegan Mushroom Pepper Steak
I am drooling looking at these pics again. I wish we had more leftovers. Definitely going to have to make this again soon and add it to our favorites!
If you give this delicious easy dish a try, please leave me a comment below with your star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired.
What comfort food dish from your childhood do you remember?
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 onion (halved and cut into slices) (I used a sweet onion)
- 2 large green peppers (seeded and cut into strips)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1-2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce (Annie's brand is vegan)
- 2 dashes liquid smoke
- 1 package sliced mushrooms (about 12-15 oz)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan over medium heat on the stove. Add the vegetable broth or water and the sliced onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the mushrooms. Cover, turn down heat to med-low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Add the mushrooms and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice.
Nutrition facts calculated for Mushroom Pepper Steak only, not including any rice for serving.