Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Muffins – Not your average blueberry muffin. These muffins are hearty, filling and healthy! Dairy free and oil free! Try them with a drizzle of maple syrup or alongside your favorite cup of coffee or tea.
We love muffins around here. They are great for breakfast, lunch, snack, or an after dinner treat. What is more classic than a blueberry muffin? Of course, I couldn’t settle for classic. I had to put my own spin on it. These Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Muffins are hearty and filling and healthy.
There is only 1/2 cup of sugar in the whole recipe, which means less than 1 tbsp per muffin. As always, these muffins are dairy free, but they are also oil free! Loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants from the blueberries, you don’t have to feel guilty about enjoying more than one!
These muffins aren’t exactly light and fluffy. The cornmeal and whole wheat flour, which lend to the healthiness, make them nice and dense. However, I’m going to tell you exactly how to eat these babies to make them your new favorite muffin! The secret? Well, there are two really. First, heat one of the muffins up just a bit…a few seconds in the microwave is plenty. Next, break it in half and drizzle a touch of pure maple syrup on the inside of each half. Finally, take a bite, close your eyes and say “mmmmmm.”
Ok, you don’t really have to close your eyes and say, “mmmmm.” That’s just what I did. 🙂 But, seriously, look how soft and delicious that looks!
If you really don’t want to add the extra maple syrup, sipping on your favorite cup of coffee or tea while treating yourself to one of these yummy muffins would also be a delicious way to wash them down.
Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Muffins
I hope you love these Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (or non dairy milk of your choice)
- 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
- Preheat oven 375 degree F.
- Lightly spray a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the vinegar, baking soda, applesauce, lemon juice and zest and non dairy milk.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the blueberries and stir gently just to combine.
- Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
~These muffins are best when heated up slightly, cut in half and drizzle with a touch of pure maple syrup.