Not your average blueberry muffin! These Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Muffins are hearty, filling and healthy! Dairy free and oil free! Try them with a drizzle of maple syrup or alongside your favorite cup of coffee or tea.
We love muffins around here. They are great for breakfast, lunch, snack, or an after dinner treat.
What is more classic than a blueberry muffin? Of course, I couldn’t settle for classic. I had to put my own spin on it. These Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Muffins are hearty and filling and healthy.
There is only ½ cup of sugar in the whole recipe, which means less than 1 tablespoon per muffin.
As always, these muffins are dairy free, but they are also oil free!
Loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants from the blueberries, you don’t have to feel guilty about enjoying more than one!
These muffins aren’t exactly light and fluffy. The cornmeal and whole wheat flour, which lend to the healthiness, make them nice and dense.
However, I’m going to tell you exactly how to eat these babies to make them your new favorite muffin!
The secret? Well, there are two really.
First, heat one of the muffins up just a bit…a few seconds in the microwave is plenty.
Next, break it in half and drizzle a touch of pure maple syrup on the inside of each half.
Finally, take a bite, close your eyes and say “mmmmmm.”
Seriously, look how soft and delicious that looks!
If you really don’t want to add the extra maple syrup, sipping on your favorite cup of coffee or tea while treating yourself to one of these yummy muffins would also be a delicious way to wash them down.
More vegan muffin recipes
- Vegan Zucchini Muffins
- Cranberry Almond Muffins
- Vegan Carrot Oat Muffins
- Pineapple Coconut Muffins
- Vegan Protein Muffins
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Muffins
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ¼ cup almond milk or non dairy milk of your choice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Lightly spray a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the vinegar, applesauce, lemon juice and zest, and non dairy milk.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the blueberries and stir gently just to combine.
- Fill the muffin tins about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack.