Flax and Walnut Zucchini Muffins – wholesome, lightly sweetened, and perfect for breakfast or a snack any time of day!
School is just about to start here and I am all about making healthy snacks that can pose as breakfast, a lunchtime treat, an after school snack or quick grab-n-go fuel between activities. Better yet, I love sneaking in veggies where my kids least expect it. These Flax and Walnut Zucchini Muffins are soft and delicious, just sweet enough, and packed with nutritious ingredients. All 3 kids raved about these healthy muffins, including my zucchini-hating 7 year old. The whole batch (12 muffins) was gone in less than 2 days!
Aren’t those just the most gorgeous muffins!?! Those vibrant green flecks among the glossy honey brown…so pretty!
I’ve had these muffins on my “to-make” list all summer. Glad I waited because, as luck would have it, So Delicious and Go Dairy Free are teaming up to host a Snackable Recipe Contest. I used So Delicious Unsweetened Almond Plus Almond Milk as the liquid in this recipe. It contains 5 times more protein than traditional almond milk and is perfect for getting extra nutrients into those kiddos who are constantly on the go. You do not have to be a blogger to enter this contest…check it out!
These wholesome zucchini muffins are the perfect snack for anytime of day and one that you can feel good about feeding to your kids. But, don’t think these beauties are JUST for kids…I definitely ate my fair share as well.
Don’t like zucchini? Don’t worry, I tested these with carrots, too, and they were just as delicious! But, like I said before, even my son who is not a zucchini fan loved these!
The nuts are optional, feel free to leave them out or use raisins instead for extra sweetness.
Flax and Walnut Zucchini Muffins
I hope you love these Flax and Walnut Zucchini Muffins as much as we do! If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaxmeal
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk (I used So Delicious Almond Plus Almond Milk)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
Whisk together the flours, flaxmeal, arrowroot powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In as separate bowl, whisk together the non-diary milk, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla.
- Stir the dry into the wet and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini and walnuts and mix until just combined.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way with the batter.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan 10-15 min. The muffins should pop out easily.
~Nuts are optional, feel free to leave them out, use a different kind of nut, or even replace them with raisins or other dried fruit instead.
~If you really don't like zucchini, you can use shredded carrots instead.
~Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.