Chunky Monkey Sugar Free Oatmeal – warm, creamy, chocolatey, nutty, sweet, delicious, and no sugar needed!
Its no secret that we love our oats around here. My kids adore oatmeal and I find myself buying a huge container of old fashioned oats nearly every 2 weeks. We experiment with the flavors every so often, but this Chunky Monkey Sugar Free Oatmeal is one they’ve been requesting time and time again lately. Perhaps it’s the addition of the chocolate….
The ingredients are pretty simple: oats, bananas, peanut butter, cocoa, and walnuts. Who doesn’t love a little chocolate for breakfast, am I right? Bonus: it’s loaded with protein and fiber to keep you full all morning.
Sugar Free Oatmeal
I have traditionally made this oatmeal with unsweetened cocoa powder and coconut sugar, but I recently tried a new product that took the place of both of those and it’s what makes this creamy oatmeal sugar free. Below I give you directions to make both versions, but first let me tell you about this yummy new product. It’s from NuNaturals and is called NuStevia Cocoa Syrup. It’s a sugar free sweetener with rich chocolate taste. If you’ve ever had store-bought chocolate syrup (you know the one I’m talking about…you used it make chocolate milk with it as a kid, right?), it will remind you of that taste, but more like real cocoa. And, did I mention it’s sugar free?!
Options with Pantry Ingredients
I am not being paid to promote this product. I actually won it in the Virtual Vegan Potluck contest. (My Vegan Dilled Ceviche won Best Recipe in the Featured Ingredient category). I’m not one for letting a product go to waste, so I tried it out. It’s good! I’m guessing it would make amazing chocolate almond milk!!
But, again, you can make this recipe with good old unsweetened cocoa and coconut sugar, which will still make it refined sugar free, but not completely sugar free. And you might not even need the coconut sugar at all if you use really ripe bananas, which are super sweet on their own.
Chunky Monkey Sugar Free Oatmeal
Mmmmmm, warm, creamy, chocolatey, nutty, delicious. If you make this Chunky Monkey Sugar Free Oatmeal, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (gluten free, if necessary)
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 2 small (or 1 large) overripe bananas, smashed
- 2 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts (chopped)
- 2-3 tsp NuNaturals NuStevia Cocoa Syrup (alternately use 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and, optionally, 2 tbsp coconut sugar*, if desired)
- dollop of peanut butter, banana slices, chopped peanuts, drizzle of NuNaturals NuStevia Cocoa Syrup or chocolate chips, etc.
- Place water, smashed banana, and oats in a pot on the stove over medium heat. Stir well and let come to a simmer.
- Add the peanut butter, cocoa syrup (or cocoa and sugar, if using), and walnuts and stir.
- Let simmer a few more minutes until desired consistency.
- Serve warm garnished with chopped peanuts, fresh sliced banana and a drizzle of cocoa syrup (or even chocolate chips!)
*If you use coconut sugar, this oatmeal will be refined sugar free, not completely sugar free.
~Nutrition facts calculated without toppings.
More Dairy Free Oatmeal Recipes to Love:
Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Bites (sugar free!)