Peanut Butter Oatmeal w/ Strawberries – quick and easy, sweet and creamy, filling and satisfying. No added sugars!
Eating a plant based diet doesn’t have to be difficult or fancy.
Many of the foods you already enjoy are probably plant based.
Oatmeal is a healthy, filling breakfast, but a lot of people think it’s bland unless they add a lot of sugar. And some don’t like the mushy texture.
I’ve solved both problems here with ingredients you likely have in your pantry and fridge. My kids gobble this up!
No Sugar Added
I don’t like bland oatmeal either!
To sweeten it up without adding unwanted sugar, I add a smashed overripe banana to the water while the oats are cooking.
I use this same technique in my Creamy Customizable Oatmeal. The banana adds lots of sweetness in a healthy way.
Sliced strawberries also add to the sweet factor, but you can add any fruit you like.
Add Some Protein
Nut butters added to oatmeal help to make it ultra creamy.
It also helps you feel full longer by adding some healthy protein.
Don’t miss these other quick and easy breakfast recipes:
- My Favorite Avocado Toast
- Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Superfood Smoothie
- Healthy Whole Wheat Flax Pancakes
Add Some Texture
I love different textures in my food.
The creaminess of oatmeal is so cozy and comforting, but adding a bit of crunch really makes it a meal worth digging in to!
Here I add sliced strawberries, right before serving, so they stay fresh. A sprinkle of chopped salted peanuts on the top brings great crunch, added flavor, and a touch of saltiness that balances out the sweetness nicely.
Strawberry Peanut Butter Oatmeal
This sugar free, dairy free oatmeal is sure to please kids and adults alike. It’s so quick and easy, there is no excuse for skipping breakfast. You can even make it the night before and keep it in the fridge. Stir in a splash of plant milk before reheating to bring it back to life.
If you try this Strawberry Peanut Butter Oatmeal, be sure to leave me a comment below. You can also snap a pic and tag me on social media @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I don’t miss it. Grab a spoon!
- 2 cups old fashioned gluten free oats
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1 over-ripe banana (smashed)
- 1 heaping tbsp creamy peanut butter (organic and natural preferred - peanuts should be the only ingredient....and maybe salt)
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon (depending on how much you like your cinnamon...I LOVE it so I add even more!)
- more sliced strawberries
- chopped salted peanuts
- Add water to pot and whisk in the smashed banana until mostly incorporated.
- Add oats and turn stove to medium heat, stir to combine.
- Once mixture starts to thicken and bubble, turn heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring frequently until oats are creamy (this only take a few minutes)
- Add peanut butter and cinnamon. Stir until peanut butter is melted and fully incorporated
- Turn off heat. Add strawberries and stir to combine.
- Serve warm with extra strawberries, chopped salted peanuts and another dash of cinnamon on top for garnish (optional).