Peanut Butter Oatmeal with strawberries is a quick and easy breakfast the whole family loves. It’s sweet, creamy, filling and satisfying, and it as NO added sugars!
Eating a plant based diet doesn’t have to be difficult or fancy.
Many of the foods you already enjoy are probably plant based.
Oatmeal is a healthy, filling breakfast, but a lot of people think it’s bland unless they add a lot of sugar. And some don’t like the mushy texture.
I’ve solved both problems here with ingredients you likely have in your pantry and fridge. My kids gobble this up!
I don’t like bland oatmeal either!
To sweeten it up without adding unwanted sugar, I add a smashed overripe banana to the water while the oats are cooking.
I use this same technique in my Creamy Customizable Oatmeal. The banana adds lots of sweetness in a healthy way.
Sliced strawberries also add to the sweet factor, but you can add any fruit you like.
Nut butters added to oatmeal help to make it ultra creamy.
It also helps you feel full longer by adding some healthy protein.
Don’t miss these other quick and easy breakfast recipes:
- My Favorite Avocado Toast
- Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Superfood Smoothie
- Healthy Whole Wheat Flax Pancakes
I love different textures in my food.
The creaminess of oatmeal is so cozy and comforting, but adding a bit of crunch really makes it a meal worth digging in to!
Here I add sliced strawberries, right before serving, so they stay fresh. A sprinkle of chopped salted peanuts on the top brings great crunch, added flavor, and a touch of saltiness that balances out the sweetness nicely.
More vegan recipes with oats
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Balls
- Baked Oatmeal Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Chunky Monkey Sugar Free Oatmeal
- Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Strawberry Peanut Butter Oatmeal
- 2 cups old fashioned gluten free oats
- 3 ¼ cups water
- 1 over-ripe banana smashed
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter organic and natural preferred – peanuts should be the only ingredient….and maybe salt
- ½ cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon depending on how much you like your cinnamon…I LOVE it so I add even more!
- more sliced strawberries
- chopped salted peanuts
- Add water to pot and whisk in the smashed banana until mostly incorporated.
- Add oats and turn stove to medium heat, stir to combine.
- Once mixture starts to thicken and bubble, turn heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring frequently until oats are creamy (this only take a few minutes)
- Add peanut butter and cinnamon. Stir until peanut butter is melted and fully incorporated
- Turn off heat. Add strawberries and stir to combine.
- Serve warm with extra strawberries, chopped salted peanuts and another dash of cinnamon on top for garnish (optional).
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.
Jenna S says
I really enjoyed this! Was dying for pb and J oatmeal but we don’t buy jelly so this was perfect! Made a lot too so I’ll have some for tomorrow! My husband said it was good too!
Jenn Sebestyen says
Wonderful! I’m so glad to hear this, Jenna! Thank you!
Can you freeze it? Or how long will it save in fridge?
Jenn Sebestyen says
I have never tried freezing oatmeal, so I’m not sure about that. But I’m pretty sure Trader Joe’s sells prepared oatmeal in the freezer section, so I guess it could work. In the fridge, it should last 3-4 days. Enjoy!
I’m gonna have to try this! Might add some strawberry jam.
Jenn S. says
That would be a great addition! Let me know how you like it!