Banana Baked Oatmeal Bites with chunks of fresh strawberries and chocolate chips – a hearty, healthy breakfast or snack made with no refined sugars!
I took the kids strawberry picking last week and we picked TEN lbs! The kids had a blast picking the best ones and I’m pretty sure they ate just about as many as they put in the basket.
We definitely enjoyed our fair share of berries straight from the box. Fresh sweet strawberries were a side dish of every breakfast, lunch and dinner for several days after we picked them. But with 10 lbs, we had to get creative too.
Since my kids love oatmeal so much, I decided to experiment with baked oatmeal to change things up a bit. These Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Bites with Chocolate Chips were a big hit! We enjoyed these not only for breakfast, but for snacking throughout the day as well.
No Added Sugar
Our strawberries were nice and sweet, so there is NO added sugar in these baked oatmeal bites. I drizzled mine with a little pure maple syrup for some extra sweetness right before I ate it.
If you prefer your oatmeal on the sweeter side, or if your strawberries just aren’t that sweet, you might want to add a 2-3 tbsp of sugar to the mix before baking. My girls preferred them just as they are though.
They liked that they could pick it up and eat it like a muffin. And, of course, they were THRILLED that I added chocolate chips! Chocolate really does make everything better, no?
These would make a great snack to take along on a picnic or hiking or a day at the pool. Lots of nutrition packed into these little bites and it would be nice change from the usual granola bars that accompany those kinds of outings. Just beware that any chocolate chips on the outside of the muffins may melt in the heat so be sure to take along lots of wipes!
Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Bites
Change up your breakfast routine with these delicious hearty Baked Oatmeal Bites or enjoy them for a healthy afternoon snack. Either way, you can’t go wrong! If you give them a try, please leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see your post! Enjoy!
- 2 bananas (smashed) (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used WestSoy Organic Unsweetened)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (use certified gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten free)
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (chopped)
- 1/4 cup non dairy chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a muffin pan with oil (I used coconut oil).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the smashed bananas, milk and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the oats, flax, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the strawberries and chocolate chips (if using).
- Fill the muffin tins to the top with the oatmeal mixture and press down gently to make them compact.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the oatmeal is baked through.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.This will ensure that the oatmeal bites settle and hold together.
- Take the oatmeal out of the muffin pan and enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in the fridge.
If you prefer your oatmeal on the sweeter side, add 2-3 tbsp of sugar to the mixture before baking. Or simply drizzle with a touch of pure maple syrup right before eating.