Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars – delicious little snack cake bites full of a summer garden staple. Eat Your Veggies!
I shared with you in this post, how important snacks are in this house. We can never have enough snack options around.
We also have a crazy abundance of zucchini in our garden right now. My kids don’t particularly love zucchini, although I sneak it in all sorts of things and they have no idea – like my Southwest Rollups, Flax & Walnut Muffins, and this Marinara Sauce.
I actually did tell them there is zucchini in these snack cake bars. Well, if I’m honest, it was more like I got caught adding the green stuff to the mix.
At first my son didn’t even want to try them, but he couldn’t resist the chocolate drizzle on top, so he went for it…..and loved it! “Oh, you can’t even taste the zucchini.”
The girls didn’t have to be convinced at all. They couldn’t wait to try them and all I heard was yums, oohs, and aahs. That’s a win, folks!
Is it cake? Is it bread?
I’m calling these zucchini bars because they aren’t sweet enough to be cake. They do have a bit of sweetness and are just sweet enough if you ask me.
And, although it’s comparable in texture to a quick bread, I chose to cut them into squares instead of slices.
Zucchini boasts a high nutrition profile. It contains many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, fiber, potassium, folate, B vitamins, vitamin K, healthy omega-3 fats, calcium, iron, protein, and many more! It’s also very low in calories.
Many kids don’t like to eat green veggies, but you know they should. Pair the green stuff with some yummy chocolate chips and watch them devour it! By the way, this works for adults too.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars
I hope you love these Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup aquafaba (a.k.a. chickpea brine - the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (measure after wringing out all the liquid)*
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
Chocolate Drizzle, optional
- ¼ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper or spray it lightly with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the vanilla, aquafaba, and milk.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips and stir to incorporate.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan on a cooling rack before removing and cutting into bars.
For the Chocolate Drizzle, if using
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate chips with 1 tbsp milk on half power for 30 seconds. Stir, add more milk if necessary, and heat again on half power for another 30 seconds. Continue until the correct consistency is achieved. (You can also heat the chocolate chips and milk in a small saucepan over low heat on the stove. Stir continuously and don't walk away as it can burn quickly).
More Healthy Dairy Free Snacks to Love: