This Mediterranean Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers and Artichokes is a quick and easy pasta dish that uses staples you probably already have in your pantry.
This Mediterranean Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers and Artichokes is flavorful and hearty without weighing you down. Perfect for those summer days that call for lightened up dishes. Yet it still feels like a comfort food dish, just as pasta should. And all you need is about 20 minutes, so it’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
Pasta is one of those things that my kids will eat pretty much no matter what’s in it. It’s a great way to sneak in extra veggies without really “sneaking” them. The veggies are there in all of their glory, but somehow the kids don’t necessarily notice them because they are focused on the noodles.
Luckily, my kids do like artichokes, tomatoes and bell peppers quite a lot. I use this same veggie combo, plus more, in my Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers which they also love!
Fresh artichokes can be a bit intimidating and they do take some time to prepare. Their peak season is in the springtime. You can also find artichoke hearts, the “meaty”, and most would say best, part of the vegetable ready to eat in cans or jars at your local grocery store. This is how I tend to buy them. I love having them in the pantry ready to throw into a recipe whenever the mood strikes.
We’ve been using artichokes a lot lately. We can’t get enough of this Spinach Artichoke Pesto. And these White Bean Burgers, also made with artichokes, are the perfect vehicle for getting even more of that pesto into your mouth.
And if you want a truly unique artichoke recipe, which also happens to be one the most popular recipes on the blog, give these Baked Buffalo Vegan Taquitos a try!
The “sauce” is made by cooking down the vegetables a bit with a little garlic, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
In the past, I’ve also tossed in some toasted breadcrumbs (a few tablespoons) right before serving for a little texture and it’s fabulous.
This dish is just as good cold as it is warm, so feel free to pack up leftovers for your lunch (or your kid’s lunch) the next day. It’s also perfect for serving a crowd. Feel free to double the recipe and take it to your next backyard BBQ. Everyone will be asking you for the recipe!
More vegan pasta recipes
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Sweet Corn Pasta
- Vegan Scampi and Linguine
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Vegan Lasagna Roll Ups
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Mediterranean Pasta w/ Roasted Red Peppers and Artichokes
- 16 ounces penne pasta or pasta of choice (gluten free, if desired)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers drained and chopped
- 1 jar (12 ounces) artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- juice and zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup sliced pitted Greek olives optional
- Cook penne according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the peppers, artichokes and tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until veggies start to give off some liquid. About 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, olives (if using), oregano, salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes to combine the flavors.
- When penne is done, drain and add to the vegetables. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Add another squeeze of lemon, extra dash of salt, or perhaps a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
- Serve with some crusty bread of course!