With just 20 minutes a handful of ingredients, this creamy hummus pasta dish can be on your dinner table! Use homemade hummus for an oil-free version or grab a container of store-bought for an even quicker option. Kid and husband approved!
Hummus Pasta is the ultimate lazy weeknight dinner! It’s comfort food that comes together in less than 30 minutes and can be customized to what you have you hand. Loved by kids and adults alike. Leftovers make delicious cold pasta salad for lunches/lunchboxes.
Reasons to love Hummus Pasta
- It’s quick and easy – ready in the amount of time it takes to cook the noodles. Perfect for a weeknight!
- It’s made in just one pot. Easy cleanup!
- It’s made with healthy plant based ingredients.
- It’s nut-free, oil-free (if you use my homemade hummus linked in the recipe), and also gluten-free, if you choose gluten free noodles.
- It’s adaptable – use your favorite flavor of hummus and/or add your favorite veggies and herbs.
- It’s creamy and delicious. Kid and husband approved!
Ingredients you need
Just 5 ingredients are needed for this easy vegan recipe. And they’re all healthy and plant based.
Noodles – I love rotini for this hummus pasta because it holds the sauce well. Choose chickpea or brown rice based noodles for a gluten free option. Any shape will work, so use your favorite.
Hummus – Bringing healthy plant protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and anti-inflammatory properties [source], it is naturally gluten free, nut free, and dairy free.
Any savory flavor will work, but make sure it’s a flavorful one! There is a wide variety of store-bought options available. Or try one of my homemade recipes – Spicy Hummus, Roasted Carrot Hummus (contains nuts), Miso Parsley Hummus, and of course, the Roasted Red Pepper variety I use here.
Vegetables – This recipe is great for using up any vegetables you have hanging out in your fridge. Keep in mind, if you add more vegetables than called for in the recipe, you’ll need more sauce, as well.
Artichokes, sweet green peas, chopped zucchini, caramelized onions, leftover broccoli, kale or arugula, olives, etc., would all work well here.
Extras – Stir in a tablespoon or two of nutritional yeast for an extra savory/cheesy flavor. Garnish with roasted chickpeas for a bit of crunch. Sprinkle a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes on top for a punch of spicy heat.
How to make Hummus Pasta
If you can boil noodles, you can make this easy recipe.
Boil the noodles in well-salted water until al dente. Before draining, reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water and set aside.
Return the drained noodles back to the pot and add the hummus, spinach, tomatoes, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir well and add ½ cup of the pasta cooking water and stir again until everything is mixed well and the sauce is smooth.
If needed, add more of the water until the desired consistency is reached.
Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Leftovers make great cold pasta salad the next day, but you can certainly reheat it if you prefer. Try packing it in a lunchbox for school or work!
Absolutely! It doesn’t take any extra time to double the recipe, just extra ingredients.
If you are thinking of freezing this recipe, do NOT add the spinach and tomatoes until you are ready to serve after reheating. They will get mushy and lose flavor once frozen. But, yes, you can freeze the pasta with just the hummus sauce.
Tips for Success
- Be sure to salt your cooking water for optimal flavor.
- Don’t forget to save at least 1 cup of the cooking water before draining the noodles.
- Use a really flavorful hummus.
- Season to your own taste. Add more lemon juice or salt/pepper as needed.
More easy vegan pasta recipes
- Vegan Cauliflower Bolognese
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Ziti
- Mediterranean Pasta
- One Pot Fregola w/ Tomatoes and Basil
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Easy Hummus Pasta
- 16 ounces rotini pasta (or pasta or choice, gluten free, if desired)
- ½-1 cup pasta cooking water
- 1 cup Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (or your favorite store-bought hummus)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- In a large pot on the stove, cook the pasta according to package directions in well-salted water. BEFORE draining, reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water and set aside.
- Transfer the cooked noodles back to the pot. Add the hummus, tomatoes, spinach, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add ½ cup of the pasta cooking water and stir well until the sauce is creamy and smooth. Add more pasta cooking water, if needed, to reach the desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed. Add more salt, pepper, lemon, or even more hummus, as desired.