Creamy Lemon Pasta – A delicious pasta dish with a garlicky lemon dairy free white bean sauce served alongside roasted asparagus. It comes together easily – perfect for a weeknight dinner.
One of my favorite springtime veggies is asparagus. I could eat the whole bunch myself! I’m an oddball who actually likes the stalks better than the soft tops. It works out pretty well for me considering my son will only eat the tops! Although I could make an entire meal out of Roasted Asparagus alone, I think my family appreciates that I paired it with this Creamy Lemon Pasta.
White Bean Sauce
This velvety sauce is thick and creamy and full of lemon and garlic flavors. It’s also soy free, nut free, and can be made oil-free if you wish. It only takes 7 ingredients, all of which you likely already have in your pantry/fridge, and less than 10 minutes to make.
White beans are high in protein, fiber, potassium, folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, calcium and iron. Cannellini beans, in particular, get super creamy when blended.
Asparagus is incredibly high in Vitamin K and folate. It also boasts B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A, potassium, zinc, iron, protein, and calcium, among others. So, basically, you want to eat up because this Lemon Pasta with Asparagus is one healthy dish!
A Family Favorite
All 3 kids devoured this dinner, but I think my hubby liked it the most! We didn’t have much leftover, but what we did have didn’t last long!
Asparagus and lemon are a match made in heaven, so this dish is pretty much perfection! 🙂 Try it for yourself and leave a comment below letting me know what you think.
Creamy Lemon Pasta w/ Roasted Asparagus
I hope you love this Creamy Lemon Pasta as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
A delicious pasta dish with a garlicky lemon white bean sauce served alongside roasted asparagus. It comes together easily - perfect for a weeknight dinner. Dairy free and vegan!
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- 1 lb ziti (or pasta of choice) (use gluten free noodles if desired)
- 2 tsp olive oil (or 1 tbsp vegetable broth)
- 1/4 of a white onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 15 oz canned cannellini beans (rinsed and drained) (or 1 1/5 cups cooked dry beans)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (plus extra to thin, if needed)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- zest of 1 lemon (to garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Trim off the woody bottoms of the asparagus. Toss the asparagus with oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the ziti according to package directions
- While the ziti is cooking and the asparagus is roasting, make the sauce.
In a small skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the diced onion and minced garlic in 2 tsp of olive oil until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
Combine the beans, onion/garlic mixture, vegetable broth, lemon juice, and salt in a high speed blender and purée until smooth. Add a little more broth (or some of the pasta water) to thin if needed.
- To serve, combine the ziti and sauce and serve the asparagus either on the side or mixed in with the noodles.
Garnish with extra lemon zest and parsley.
If the sauce is a little too thick, you can use extra vegetable broth or a little of the pasta water to thin it out.
*Recipe and content updated April 2018. Original posted April 2015.