A thick and creamy lemon sauce pulls this dish together. It takes only 7 ingredients for the sauce, 9 for the whole meal, which makes this Creamy Lemon Ziti w/ Roasted Asparagus perfect for a weeknight meal.
I can’t even begin to tell you how happy it makes me that the weather has finally been warmer, the sun is shining bright and I’m starting to see all the yummy spring/summer fruits and vegetables in the market again! One of my favorite springtime veggies is asparagus. I could eat the whole bunch myself! I’m an oddball who actually likes the stalks better than the soft tops. It works out pretty well for me considering my son will only eat the tops! Although I could make an entire meal out of Roasted Asparagus alone, I think my family appreciates that I recently paired it with this Creamy Lemon Ziti.
This velvety sauce is thick and creamy and super flavorful. And you know what I’m going to say next, right? It’s dairy free! In addition, the sauce is also oil-free, soy free and nut free. It only takes 7 ingredients, all of which you likely already have in your pantry/fridge, and less than 5 minutes to make this tangy sauce.
If you’ve been following this blog for any length of time, you probably already know what I used to make it thick and creamy – white beans! White beans are high in protein, fiber, potassium, folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, calcium and iron.
Asparagus is incredibly high in Vitamin K and folate and also high in so many other vitamins and minerals that I’m not going to list them all there. So, basically, you want to eat up because this is one healthy dish!
All 3 kids devoured this dinner, but I think my hubby liked it the most! We didn’t have much leftover, but what we did have didn’t last long!
Asparagus and lemon are a match made in heaven, so this dish is pretty much perfection! 🙂 Try it for yourself and leave a comment below letting me know what you think.
Creamy Lemon Ziti w/ Roasted Asparagus
I hope you love this Creamy Lemon Ziti as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ziti (use gluten free noodles if desired)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 can white beans (rinsed and drained) (any variety, I used Cannellini)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (plus extra to thin, if needed) (I used Rice milk)
- 2 garlic cloves
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- salt/pepper to taste
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Trim off the woody bottoms of the asparagus. Toss the asparagus with oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the ziti according to package directions
- While the ziti is cooking and the asparagus is roasting, make the sauce.
Combine the beans, garlic, non-dairy milk, lemon zest and juice, onion powder and nutmeg in a high speed blender and puree until smooth. Add salt/pepper to taste. (Add another splash or two non-dairy milk - or you could use vegetable broth- if needed, to thin)
- To serve, combine the ziti and sauce and serve the asparagus either on the side or mixed in with the noodles.
- Garnish with extra lemon zest and parsley if desired.
~Recipe updated 5/2017