Just want to let you know that this post is sponsored by my friends at Off Your Rocker Pottery. I only recommend products that I use and love myself. All opinions are my own.
This dairy free sauce is rich and creamy and the perfect complement to lots of pasta and earthy mushrooms. Great for a plant based Meatless Monday meal! It would be great over rice too!
Keep reading for the Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe + a discount code for your order at Off Your Rocker Pottery!
When the weather gets chilly, I start to crave comfort foods.
Usually that means all the soup, all the time. But, I don’t think I have to tell you that pasta qualifies as total comfort food, too.
This Vegan Mushroom Pasta is creamy, hearty and crazy delicious, and will give you all the comforting feelings you desire.
Bonus: it can be ready in about 30 minutes, which means you can indulge in cozy comfort any time you want.
Pasta ~ I like a medium pasta shape for this dish. Bow ties, rotini, penne, etc. would all work well.
Use gluten pasta, if you like.
Mushrooms ~ Shiitake mushrooms are my #1 choice of mushroom variety for this dish.
They have a very “meaty” texture and loads more flavor that your typical button mushrooms. They’re also easily found in most grocery stores. Even though mushrooms are technically a fungi, you’ll find them by the vegetables in the produce section.
Tahini ~ This creamy condiment has a savory, earthy flavor that complements the flavors of the mushrooms really well.
The taste of tahini can vary greatly depending on the brand. If yours is on the bitter side, you can add a touch of pure maple syrup to balance the flavors of the sauce.
Don’t be alarmed if the sauce seems strong right out of the bowl. Once it hits the onion/garlic mixture and mingles with the pasta and mushrooms, the flavor will mellow quite a bit.
Shiitake mushrooms are incredibly high in copper, an essential mineral which our bodies cannot make on their own. They also boast high amounts of selenium, B vitamins, zinc, vitamin D, fiber, and folate. [source]
These meaty mushrooms have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, so you’ll want to eat up!
More vegan mushroom recipes:
Vegan Mushroom Soup
Vegan Mushroom Stuffing
Vegan Mushroom Pepper Steak
Lentil Mushroom Tacos
My recipes usually serve between 4 to 6, but since my kids aren’t fans of mushrooms, this one was just for me and the hubs. Technically, 2 ounces of pasta is one serving, but let’s be honest, no one eats just 2 ounces of pasta. So, I’m saying this 8 ounce vegan mushroom pasta dish serves 2 to 3.
If you want to stretch it further, you can absolutely serve 4 people with this recipe. Serve alongside a big green salad for extra staying power. And, of course, you can always double the recipe as well.
Off Your Rocker Pottery
The saying goes, “You eat with your eyes first.”
The food has to look good – no doubt. But, gorgeous dinnerware helps too.
I love the way this beige mushroom pasta comes alive on the blue plate. Shades of brown and light blue are beautiful complementing colors.
And the baby kale and juicy grape tomatoes pop out of the rustic white bowl above.
These pretty hued plates and bowls are part of the Funky Farmhouse Collection from Off Your Rocker Pottery.
Lindsay Klix is the owner and artist of Off Your Rocker Pottery, specializing in functional handmade dinnerware.
I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know Lindsay, who is local to my area, and I can attest to the fact that she takes great care in each piece of pottery she creates.
The pieces are sturdy and beautiful and they are all:
- food safe
- dishwasher, microwave, and oven safe
Thank you, Lindsay, because this busy mama does not have time to be hand washing plates and cups!
In addition, check out these fabulous reasons why you’ll want to own a few of these Funky Farmhouse dishes for yourself!
- each and every piece is completely made by hand in every step of the process, making each piece truly unique even as part of a set
- bowls and plates are designed to be easily stackable in your cabinets
- all cups/mugs have a trimmed lip for comfort
- each mug handle has an ergonomic curve and a notch for your thumb
- the bottoms of all of her pieces are sanded and hand polished to ensure they don’t scratch your table or furniture.
Funky Farmhouse Collection
Lindsay has recently added new colors to her Funky Farmhouse collection.
She also has Pitchers, Berry Bowls, Platters, Pie Plates, Garlic Jars, and some amazing Flat Bowls, which I feature with my Vegan Cincinnati Chili and my Italian Peppers and Chickpeas. The flat bowls are perfect for plates of spaghetti, thick stews, smoothie bowls, oatmeal, or pie a la mode!
Check out her entire Funky Farmhouse Collection, plus more, at Off Your Rocker Pottery.
And because Lindsay is so awesome, she’s giving all of YOU a 15% discount off your entire order. Use code “VeggieIns” when ordering.
It’s not too early to start thinking about holiday gifts. I can think of several people, not to mention myself, who would love some unique dishware. Grab that discount code above and start checking off your list!
More vegan pasta recipes
- Healthy Vegan Bolognese
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- Mediterranean Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Ziti
- Vegan Scampi in Garlic White Wine Sauce
- Garden Veggie Pasta
- Amazing Vegan Mac and Cheese
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
And don’t forget to use discount code “VeggieIns” for 15% off your order of unique Off Your Rocker Pottery dinnerware for yourself or for gifts!
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 8 ounces pasta of choice I used Gemelli (use gluten free pasta, if desired)
- 5 ounces Shiitake mushrooms stems removed, sliced
- ½ onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth divided (or water)
- ¼ cup cup tahini
- ¼ cup unsweetened original almond or cashew milk plus more as needed (water can be used instead of the milk if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoons Himalayan pink salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup optional
- handful of fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts toasted, if desired
- Read through all the directions before starting to ensure everything is ready at the same time.
- Start the water for the pasta and bring to a boil.
- While the water for the pasta is coming to a boil, sauté the mushrooms over medium heat in a dry non-stick skillet until cooked down, about 10 minutes. If you don’t have a non-stick skillet, you may need 1 teaspoon of oil so they don’t stick. Set aside.
- The pasta water should be boiling now. If so, cook your pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside when done.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté the onions in ¼ cup vegetable broth in a large skillet until soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another 1 minute.
- Add the other ¼ cup vegetable broth and simmer until absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and maple syrup, if using, until smooth. The sauce will taste pretty strong right out of the gates, but once tossed with the pasta and mushrooms, it will mellow.
- Pour the tahini sauce into the skillet with the onions and garlic. Whisk it to warm through just for a minute and take off the heat.
- Add the pasta and the mushrooms to the sauce immediately and stir to combine. Add additional non dairy milk or water 1 tablespoon at a time to thin, if necessary.
- Throw in the chopped fresh parsley and walnuts, stir, and serve immediately.