Quinoa with Vegetables is a veggie packed, high protein side dish or light main meal that takes advantage of all the summer garden vegetables.
This recipe could not be easier and serves as either a simple side or a light main dish.
But don’t be fooled by the simplicity, the quinoa in this dish packs a whopping 24 grams of protein per cup, not to mention that all the veggies contain protein as well.
It’s lightly dressed, just enough to give a little flavor punch, but the taste of the veggies really shines through. This Quinoa with Vegetables is the perfect light summer lunch!
We all know green veggies are good for us. Swiss Chard, in particular, is one of the healthiest vegetables around. It’s incredibly high in vitamin K, vitamin A and vitamin C. It also has plenty of iron, fiber, protein and B vitamins. And just look at that gorgeous color!!
I like to cook the quinoa in my Instant Pot. It takes only 1 minute under pressure with a 10 minute release and it’s perfectly fluffy every time. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, check out my Vegan Quinoa Recipes article for alternate methods of cooking this healthy seed.
The vegetables just take a few minutes to get tender in a sauté pan, so by the time they are done, your quinoa is done, too, and dinner is served!
Quick and easy is the name of the game around here and this recipe definitely checks off that box.
More vegan quinoa recipes
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Veggie Bowl
- Quinoa Power Breakfast
- Lentil Quinoa Soup
- Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- Red Lentil Quinoa Fritters
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Quinoa with Vegetables
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ + ⅛ teaspoon salt divided, or to taste
- 1 red onion sliced thin
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise and sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 8 ounces sweet green peas
- 3-4 large swiss chard leaves stems removed, chopped (about 2 cups)
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve under cold water. Place quinoa, water and lime juice in an Instant Pot with valve sealed and set for 1 minute. When finished, press stop and let it sit for 10 minutes. Open valve and lid and fluff quinoa. (Alternately, cook quinoa on the stovetop according to package directions, adding in the juice of ½ lime.)
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together the dijon mustard, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and ⅛ teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, pour in the vegetable broth and red onion slices. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally for about 3 to 4 minutes or until starting to soften. (If the pan gets too dry, add another 1 tablespoon of vegetable broth at a time just so the onions don't stick).
- Add the garlic, zucchini, ½ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper (or to taste) and sauté 2 minutes until starting to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the green peas, swiss chard and dressing. Stir and heat through for another 2 minutes.
- Plate the quinoa with the vegetable mixture on top…or just mix it all together. Serve immediately.