Quinoa Bowl with Spring Veggies – an easy, clean eating, whole foods meal that will leave you feeling healthy and satisfied. A big dollop of pesto doesn’t hurt either!
Is anyone else obsessed with spring veggies as much as I am? Especially asparagus. I can eat an entire bunch of asparagus by myself in one sitting. And I love the fresh clean bite of radishes. I put them in salads throughout the year, but I try to bring them into other dishes, too, when they are at their peak. This Spring Veggie Quinoa Bowl is the perfect way to showcase these delicious crisp veggies, alongside bright fresh herbs in the form of pesto, in a light, yet filling, dish.
I like to use tricolor quinoa because it just looks so pretty and I was really going for beautiful, bright colors. Of course, any quinoa will work though.
Use Your Fave Spring Veggies
You can also use your favorite veggies. Green peas would be great, as would broccoli. If you want to know what else is in season during the month of May, check out Aimee from Wallflower Kitchen’s latest post appropriately titled, May: What’s in Season?
Assemble the Quinoa Bowl
I like to keep the veggies nice and crisp in this dish, so I lightly steam them for just a few minutes and then shock them in an ice bath to stop the cooking. This also helps preserve the vibrant color. To serve, you can warm them back up by tossing them with just cooked quinoa. Or serve your spring veggie bowl at room temperature, my favorite way. Leftovers are even great cold out of the fridge. No matter what temp you choose to enjoy your spring veggie quinoa bowl, you’re going to want a generous dollop of pesto to go with it! I use my Mixed Greens Pepita Pesto (it’s my absolute fave!), but my Parsley Kale Pesto would be a great match as well.
What veggies would you put in your spring quinoa bowl?
If you make a Spring Veggie Quinoa Bowl for yourself, please come back and leave me feedback about how much you enjoyed it. Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I don’t miss it.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 bunch asparagus (trimmed and cut into large bite size pieces)
- 5-6 large radishes (sliced thin)
- Handful of fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped or slivered raw almonds
- 1 recipe Mixed Green Pepita Pesto
- Make the pesto if you haven't already and set aside. You can make the pesto ahead of time if you wish and keep in the fridge.
- Place quinoa and 3 cups water (or vegetable broth for added flavor) in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through. Fluff with a fork.
- In the meantime, place the asparagus and radishes in a steamer basket in a pot with a little water over medium heat. Steam for about 4-5 minutes. Immediately take them veggies out and place them in an ice bath* to stop the cooking process.
- Assemble the quinoa and all veggies in individual bowls, top with a 1-2 tbsp of the raw almonds and a large dollop of pesto.
~To make an ice bath, fill a large bowl of water with ice and cold water. When the veggies are done steaming, drop them into the ice bath and remove with a slotted spoon once cool. Alternately, you can place the whole steamer basket into the ice bath and just lift the whole thing out when the veggies are cool.
~Nutrition facts calculated with 1/4 cup pesto per serving.