Thank you Potatoes USA for sponsoring this post. Make a delicious and convenient meal today with potatoes!
Veggie Potato Fritters – Crispy oil free fritters that are baked, not fried, make a perfect easy side dish or snack.
Potatoes. They’re a staple in nearly every household I know and in cuisines around the world. You’re almost guaranteed a side of spuds in some fashion if you’re eating out here in the U.S.
Baked potatoes, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, french fries, tater tots, potato salad, potato soup, potatoes au gratin, potato skins….I love ’em, you love ’em, kids love em, everyone loves ’em.!
Today, we are loving them fritter style! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. And we’re doing it all with just a few ingredients and NO oil!
Potatoes sometimes get a bum rap, but they are actually incredibly healthy. They’re low in calories, high in vitamin C, potassium (more than a banana!), B6, fiber, and antioxidants. They’re also fat-free and contain no sodium or cholesterol.
The problem is not with the potatoes themselves, but with the way in which they are traditionally served. Good news – this potato recipe today is full of healthy whole food ingredients and baked with no oil!
The potatoes I buy most often are Russet Potatoes. They are so versatile – perfect for baking, mashing, roasting, or frying. They’re mild in flavor which makes them the perfect canvas for all kinds of toppings, herbs, or spices.
In this potato fritters recipe, we are shredding them along with zucchini and carrots, adding just a few spices for flavor, and baking them until the edges are wonderfully crispy.
No need to spend time peeling the potatoes. The peels have loads of nutrition in them, so don’t throw that away! Just make sure to scrub them really well.
Baking these potato fritters on parchment paper means we don’t need oil to keep them from sticking!
Potato Fritters without Egg
Usually, eggs are used as a binder in fritters, but of course, we’re not using eggs today. I tried a couple of different eggless binders in this recipe and my favorite by far was chickpea flour.
Other flours I tried left the fritters a bit gummy in the middle – definitely not the texture we want in our potato fritters. Chickpea flour has great binding capabilities and has the bonus of being naturally gluten free and high in protein, fiber, and iron.
Use leftover chickpea flour to make these quick and easy, super flavorful Falafel Burgers!
Side Dish or Snack
The Veggie Potato Fritters make a delicious side dish or snack. They would also be perfect for breakfast next to a Tofu Scramble or veggie sausage. We served them up with a side of spicy smoky ketchup and cooling dairy free plain yogurt (similar to sour cream which is traditionally served with potato latkes). Grab your favorite dipping sauce and make these crispy fritters today!
And for more recipe inspiration featuring tasty spuds, be sure to check out Potato Goodness.
Veggie Potato Fritters
I hope you love these Potato Fritters as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
Veggie Potato Fritters
For the Veggie Potato Fritters
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a clean kitchen cloth, very sturdy paper towels, or cheese cloth, squeeze out the liquid from the shredded potatoes and zucchini. Really put some muscle into it and just when you think you've squeezed all the liquid out, squeeze a little bit more! This will get rid of most of the starch from the potatoes and the liquid from the zucchini so that the fritters will bake up nice and crispy! DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Taking about 1/4-1/3 cup of the mixture, form it into a thin patty shape with your hands. Place it on the parchment lined baking sheet and press down slightly to flatten. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Gently flip the fritters over. Bake another 10-15 minutes until golden brown on both sides and crispy on the edges.
- Serve with Spicy Smoky Ketchup, vegan sour cream or plain yogurt, or your favorite dipping sauce.
For more potato recipe inspiration, be sure to check out Potato Goodness on Facebook.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
More Easy Dairy Free Side Dishes To Love: