Hungarian Red Lentil Soup – from the new cookbook, The Vegan 8. Quick and easy, full of flavor, and totally comforting. Get the recipe, full review of the cookbook, AND a chance to win your very own copy below!
Busy people everywhere rejoice!
Quick and easy recipes with just 8 ingredients or less that are as delicious as they are healthy.
From breakfast to dessert and all the snacks in between, you’re sure to feel satisfied with this accessible plant based comfort food.
Keep reading for the recipe for Hungarian Red Lentil Soup, a full review of The Vegan 8 cookbook, and a giveaway!
The Vegan 8 Cookbook
This new cookbook follows suit. Simple and delicious plant based recipes that everyone will love, from lifetime vegans to omnivores and everyone in between.
You’ll find recipes for breakfast, quick lunches, simple dinners, snack time, dips and sauces, and sweet desserts.
Take a Look Inside
Breakfast ~ Pumpkin Pie Crepes; Orange-Vanilla Waffles; Roasted Potato & Veggie Hash
Scrumptious Snacks & Appetizers ~ Sunflower-Cinnamon Spice Chia Balls; Tex-Mex Potato Skins; Smoky Ancho Chile Roasted Almonds
Time-Crunch Lunches ~ 20 Minute Alfredo; The Perfect Pasta Salad; Lazy Red Lentil Salsa Soup
Sauces & Dressings ~ Thai Peanut-Sesame Sauce; Creamy Cajun Lemon Sauce; Sweet Chili Mustard Sauce
Easy Entrées ~ Southwest Sweet Potato and Black Bean Bowl with Chipotle Cream; Protein-Packed Curry Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Rounds; Ultimate BBQ Bean Ball Sub; Teriyaki Patties
Comforting Soups & Stews ~ Italian Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup; Hungarian Red Lentil Soup (recipe below); Secret Ingredient Three-Bean Chili
Sides & Dips ~ Roasted Gold Potatoes with Rosemary Sauce; Fool ‘Em “Cream Cheese” Spinach-Artichoke Dip; Save the Day Chili Con Queso
Crowd Pleasing Desserts ~ Showstopper Chocolate Cake; Ultimate-Comfort Chocolate Chip Cookies; Chocolate-Peanut Butter Candy Bites
Staples ~ Emergency Smoky Barbecue Sauce; Roasted Almond Butter; Cajun Spice Seasoning
Brandi also includes a chapter of Pantry Staples and Kitchen Equipment – stock your kitchen like hers and you’ll have the best kitchen on the block!
Hungarian Red Lentil Soup
You won’t believe all the flavor that’s packed into this incredibly quick and easy soup! I reheated leftovers with a big handful of baby spinach – so good!
I hope you love this Hungarian Red Lentil Soup recipe as much as we do!
If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it.
And don’t forget to enter the giveaway below for your chance to win a copy of The Vegan 8. If you just can’t wait to see if you’re a winner and want to ensure yourself a copy, you can order it here.
Hungarian Red Lentil Soup
- 1 packed cup (160g) diced yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots (154g) ( cut into ¼-inch-thick slices)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced) (15g)
- 1 cup (209g) dry red lentils (rinsed well with cold water)
- 6 tbsp (90g) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (15g) Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tsp (2g) dry mustard
- 1 ½ tsp (9g) fine salt
- ¼ tsp (1g) ground black pepper
- 1 cup (240g) canned "lite" coconut milk (well shaken)
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and 1 cup (240g) water to a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes, stirring a couple of times during, or until the veggies are tender but not overly so. Remove the pan from the heat and add the lentils, 2 ½ cups (600g) water, tomato paste, paprika, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and increase the heat to medium-low; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender yet still firm and the soup thickens some. Stir often and do not overcook, as you don't want the lentils to become mushy. Taste and add more salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
More Amazing Vegan Cookbooks to Love:
BBQ Hawaiian Tofu Bowl ~ The Simply Vegan Cookbook
Autumn Burger ~ Vegan Burgers & Burritos
Creamy Leek & Wild Rice Soup ~ Awesome Vegan Soups