Just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes is all you need for these sweet little sugar free bites! Sunflower Fig Balls are a healthy snack that won’t ruin your diet!
Happy Halloween! Today is a day filled with ghosts, witches, goblins, and the scariest of all – SUGAR!
No doubt your kids (and probably you) will eat your month’s lot of sugar today alone. I am not immune to this debacle, I have been known to sneak plenty of Halloween candy when no one is looking.
This year I purposely bought candy that I don’t like so I wouldn’t be tempted. And then, I whipped up a batch of these Sunflower Fig Balls, so when my sweet tooth strikes I have something healthy to grab.
With absolutely no added sugar, these little bite size balls are plenty sweet and satisfying. There’s nothing scary about these…I’m happy to report, the kiddos loved them too!
Only 4 ingredients and about 5 minutes is all you need until you are savoring a bite of this figgy goodness. The “dough” is quick and easy to make, coming together all in a food processor.
These energy balls are soft and practically melt in your mouth, but they still have that little pop from the fig seeds, which I love. The figs provide fiber, vitamin B6, potassium and more.
The sunflower seeds give them a protein packed punch along with vitamin E, several B vitamins, copper, phosphorus, folate and much more!
Initially, my plan was just to use figs, sunflower seeds and lemon, but I felt it needed a little something more and I knew cardamom was the answer! I only added ¼ teaspoon because I just wanted a little hint of it in the background, but feel free to add a ½ teaspoon if you want a little more.
And then, just to make sure I didn’t leave out any texture component, I rolled half of the fig balls in crushed sunflower seeds for a beautiful powdery coating.
More vegan snack recipes
- No Bake Oatmeal Peanut Butter Balls
- Thai-Inspired Trail Mix
- Sugar Free Apple Pie Bars
- Cherry Chocolate Walnut Truffles
- Dark Chocolate Tahini Granola Bars
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Sunflower Fig Balls
For the Energy Balls
For the coating
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- In a food processor, pulse 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds until the consistency is almost like flour. A few little chunks are fine. Do not over process as it will become sticky. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same food processor, place ½ cup sunflower seeds, figs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cardamom. Processes until it forms a sticky dough.
- Roll about 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball. I used a small cookie scoop for this to ensure they were all the same size. Repeat with the remaining dough until gone.
- Roll each ball (or as many as you want) into the processed sunflower seed “flour.”
- They are ready to enjoy immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.