This Green Vegetable Soup is smooth and creamy and loaded with spring greens. It’s as delicious as it is healthy.
Spring is in the air! I’m so ready to start seeing some green leaves and grass again. The temps are starting to warm up a bit during the day, but it’s still quite chilly at night. It’s the perfect time to enjoy a lightened up, yet warming soup. Especially one full of nutrients to detox from the heavy meals of winter. This Velvety Green Vegetable Soup is the answer!
It’s sometimes hard to get my kids to eat leafy greens. They like salad, but present them with leafy greens any other way and they turn up their noses claiming they don’t like it. Well, that’s just fine, because you know what they do like? Broccoli! Sooooo, I might tell them that this is broccoli soup. Which isn’t actually a lie. I just fail to disclose that there are other things in there. It’s a win-win. They think they are slurping up soup made from little trees and I rest easy knowing they are getting the nutrients their little bodies need.
Almost every ingredient in this green vegetable soup is on the The World’s Healthiest Foods List. You could probably more than fulfill your daily vitamin and mineral requirements by eating a bowl or two of this green goodness…which is especially good news for the kiddos who don’t otherwise like to eat their green vegetables.
And, not only is it full of the healthiest vegetables, you’ll also find lots of herbs, citrus, and even creamy cannellini beans. They all work wonderfully together to balance out the flavors and create the most velvety, light, delicious green soup.
This soup is really easy to make. You don’t have to worry about being precise with your knife cuts – a rough chop is fine. The entire soup gets pureed in the blender. And any green leafy veggies will work, so you can swap out for what you have on hand or what’s on sale.
If you belong to a CSA, you now know what to do with quite a few of the veggies and herbs you’ll find in there. Or you can head on down to your local farmer’s market and shop with confidence knowing you have a game plan when you get home.
I topped off this velvety green vegetable soup with a bit of lite coconut milk for a little extra creaminess and a few green peas for texture – both of which are totally optional.
Do your kids eat their greens?
Do YOU eat your greens?
Velvety Green Vegetable Soup
- ½ sweet onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 small head broccoli (chopped) (about 2-2 ½ cups)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 cup green peas (I used frozen)
- 3 green onions
- 2 ¾ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups leafy greens (I used baby kale, baby spinach, and baby swiss chard)
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans (or 1.5 cups cooked)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup lite coconut milk (optional)
- In a soup pot over medium heat, heat ¼ cup vegetable broth and saute the sweet onion for 3-4 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 ½ cups vegetable broth, broccoli, celery, peas, and green onions. Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer 10-15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and add the leafy greens, beans, lemon juice, dill, mint and salt. Use the tamper to pack the greens down. Blend until smooth. You may need to work in batches if your blender is on the smaller side.
- Pour the soup back into the soup pot, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Add the coconut milk, if desired, and stir to combine.
More Delicious Healthy Soups to Love: