Spicy Summer Corn Soup – this healthy, flavorful soup is bursting with sweetness from fresh summer sweet corn. And it only takes 30 minutes!
Oh, sweet corn, how do I love thee? We are still enjoying all the fresh summer corn there is to offer. We have been eating so much corn on the cob and cold corn salads that I thought I’d mix it up a bit. This Spicy Summer Corn Soup is so delicious and you can adjust the spice level to your liking. It doesn’t take much to make fresh sweet corn flavorful, but of course I added a hint of my favorite spices – cumin and smoked paprika – to kick it up a notch. You might want to make a double batch…this didn’t last long at our house!
Immersion Blender for Creamy Consistency
This is a quick and easy meal that can be on your table in under 30 minutes. I like my corn to still have a little crunch left, so I don’t like to simmer it too long. The trick to getting it creamy and still maintaining texture is to use an immersion blender to puree 1/3-1/2 of the soup. Alternately, you could use a regular blender by CAREFULLY pouring 1/2 of the soup into the blender, pureeing, and then pouring it back into the soup pot…but this means you have to then wash the blender when you’re done and, personally, I feel the less dishes I have to wash, the happier I am. 🙂
Top It Off For Even More Flavor
I topped off this bowl of goodness with diced fresh tomatoes, green onions, a dash of sriracha, a teeny sprinkle of smoked paprika and drizzle of coconut milk. Mmmmmm, flavor heaven.
And don’t fret if you don’t have fresh summer sweet corn, you could certainly use frozen. Just remember to taste as you go and add additional salt, pepper or spices as needed.
Grab a spoon and savor summer.
Spicy Summer Corn Soup
I hope you love this Spicy Summer Corn Soup as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 large carrot (diced)
- 1 sweet bell pepper (diced)
- 1 jalapeño (ribs and seeds removed, diced, optional) (or just use 1/2 if you like less heat)
- kernels from 6 large ears of sweet corn
- 2 chopped seeded tomatoes (or 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (divided)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- a few dashes of sriracha (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee the onion, carrot, red bell pepper, and jalapeño (if using) in 1/4 cup vegetable broth until starting to soften - about 5-7 minutes
- Add the corn kernels, tomatoes, remaining broth, cumin, smoked paprika, lime zest and juice, a dash or two of sriracha, if using, and salt/pepper and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take off heat and puree 1/3 - 1/4 of the soup with an immersion blender, depending on the consistency you like.
- Serve garnished with the toppings of your choice.
~If you like lots of heat, leave the ribs and seeds of the jalapeño in.
If you don't like spicy, leave out the jalapeño and sriracha entirely.
~If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully transfer 1/2 of the soup to a regular blender and puree. Add it back to the soup pot and stir to combine.
~If fresh sweet corn isn't in season, use organic frozen corn instead. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
~Nutrition facts calculated without toppings.