Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup – quick and easy, this dairy free tomato soup comes together in just 30 minutes and has added healthy plant protein to boot. Perfect for a weeknight meal.
We are slowly, but surely easing into the fall season. School has begun, the sun is setting earlier and I’ve even seen some leaves start to fall.
You know what that means…..SOUP!
Soup is great in the fall to warm you up, but I do eat soup all year long, especially at lunchtime. Its such an easy meal to throw together and have leftovers to eat all week. It doesn’t get much easier than this Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup!
Quick and Easy Meal
Forget about the tomato soup from a can! This homemade creamy tomato soup recipe can be made in just minutes and tastes so much better!
It’s the perfect lunch paired with a salad, sandwich (grilled cheese, of course!), or just some crackers. My grandma always serves her tomato soup with noodles, which is a great kid-friendly option.
I love it paired with my Pumpkin, Apple and Caramelized Onion Vegan Quesadilla.
Pack it up in a thermos to take to work or for your kids to enjoy at school. My youngest daughter often requests this soup in her lunchbox – it’s one of her faves!
More yummy pairings for this quick and easy soup:
Versatile Tomato Soup Ingredients
This soup gets its creaminess from white beans (or chickpeas) and unsweetened almond milk, making it dairy free and gluten free.
Need a nut-free option? Use unsweetened soy milk. You can also make this tomato soup with coconut milk, but I would suggest using lite coconut milk opposed to full fat to avoid a strong coconut flavor that will overpower your soup.
I use dried basil in this soup for convenience, but you can certainly use fresh basil in the summer if you have it. Sometimes, I use both – dried in the soup and fresh as a garnish!
Grab a bowl and warm up this season!
More Delicious Creamy Dairy Free Soups to Love:
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- Velvety Green Vegetable Soup
- Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup
- Smoky Vegan Broccoli Soup
Vegan Tomato Soup
I hope you love this Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating.
You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- 1/4 cup water for sautéing (or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans (or chickpeas)
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes (or crushed or diced, whatever you have)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup water (or low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or more water) (plus more to thin, if needed)
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Sauté onion and garlic in 1/4 cup water (or 2 tbsp oil) over medium heat until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, spices and 1 cup water and stir to combine.
- Turn heat to med-low and simmer for about 10 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Take off heat, add the almond milk, and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Alternately, you can transfer the soup to a blender and puree. If needed, add additional almond milk or water to thin to your desired consistency.
- Add more salt/pepper/basil to taste, if desired. Add the balsamic vinegar, if using, and stir.