This Vegan Carrot Soup is a light and delicate, garden fresh soup that’s perfect for spring and summer.
Soup in the summer? Yes, of course!
You know me, I eat soup all year long. And you should too!
It’s an easy way to consume a lot of nutrients and it’s super easy – basically just dump the ingredients in a pot and simmer.
Summer soups are lighter, fresher and more delicate. I think you will LOVE this Vegan Carrot Soup, either as a light lunch or as a starter for dinner.
Ingredients you need
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Aromatics ~ Onions and garlic bring tons of flavor and allow this soup to be super flavorful without a lot of extra seasonings. Don’t skip these!
Carrots ~ Carrots are easily found all year round, so this soup could be enjoyed at anytime, but if you can find locally grown carrots in the summer, they will be fresher and more flavorful.
Any carrots you can get your hands on will be incredibly high in vitamin A. You’ll also find vitamin K, fiber, potassium, vitamin C, B vitamins, folate, vitamin E…and the list goes on…in these slender orange beauties. [source]
Bell peppers ~ I typically use red bell peppers for this carrot soup recipe, but orange or even yellow would also work just fine.
You could also use a jar of roasted red peppers, drained, but it will change the flavor of this soup a bit.
Herbs ~ Simple fresh parsley adds just enough fresh herby flavor. It’s inexpensive and easily available all year round. Do not substitute with dried parsley!
Seasonings ~ Salt, pepper, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar before serving is all you need to the let the fresh vegetables shine.
Extras ~ To bulk up this vegan carrot soup and make it a more satisfying meal, add a rinsed and drained can of white beans to the vegetable mixture and purée as directed. Add more vegetable broth as necessary as the beans will make the texture thicker.
You can also top off bowls of this soup with some roasted broccoli, pumpkin seeds, or even add some pasta, like macaroni noodles or orzo.
How to make the recipe
Sauté the onions and peppers until soft and the onions are translucent (1). Add the remaining ingredients (2) and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the carrots are soft.
Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until silky smooth (3). Alternately, you can carefully transfer the soup to a blender, purée, and return to the pot.
Serve hot (4).
How to serve
This vegan carrot soup is pretty light. It works best as an appetizer soup or a light lunch or snack.
To make it more of a hearty meal, try serving it along side a butter lettuce salad, kale apple slaw, vegan chickpea salad sandwiches, a hummus sandwich, veggie wrap, or top it off with baked tofu or roasted chickpeas.
Storage and freezing
Fridge: This vegan carrot soup will keep in the fridge in an air-tight container or mason jar for 4 to 5 days. Store any toppings separately.
Freezer: You can also freeze it! Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer safe container or plastic zip-top bag. It should keep well for up to 6 months.
Reheat: If frozen, thaw the soup overnight in the fridge. Gently reheat in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
Pro tips and tricks
~ Use the freshest ingredients possible for best flavor.
~ Purée the soup until silky smooth.
~ Add more vegetable broth if you like a thinner soup.
~ Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
~ To make this vegan carrot soup oil-free, sauté the vegetables in broth or water instead of oil.
There are many different versions of carrot soup. This particular vegan carrot soup recipe needs just 6 ingredients, carrots, bell peppers, parsley, broth, onions, and garlic, plus salt and pepper.
Technically, you don’t need to peel carrots if you scrub them well. However, if you want a silky smooth texture, I recommend peeling them.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Vegan Carrot Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil use broth or water for an oil-free option
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth plus more, as needed
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar for serving, optional
- In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion and peppers. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots, garlic, parsley, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Incrase the heat to bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the carrots are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth. Add additional broth if you like a thinner consistency.Alternately, you can carefully transfer the soup to a blender, purée, and return the soup to the pot. A blender will make a smoother soup than the immersion blender, but I prefer the little bits of texture that remain.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of balsamic and chopped fresh parsley, if using.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.